new tab weirdness

Eben King
Whenever I open a new window in Chrome, it prints "Standard new tab page" in
the content region (it's a link) and I get a dialog box:

,--
| External Protocol Request
|
| Google Chrome needs to launch an external application to handle
| chrome-internal links.  The link requested is chrome-internal://newtab/
|
| The following application will be launched if you accept this request:
|
| xdg-open
|
| If you did not initiate this request, it may represent an attempted attack
| on your system.  Unless you took an explicit action to initiate this
| request, you should press Do Nothing.
|
| [ ] Remember my choice for all links of this type
|
|           [[ Do Nothing ]]   [ Launch Application ]
'--

If I press "Launch Application" I get another dialog box:

,--
| (!) Failed to open URI "chrome-internal://newtab    [ Close ]
'--

OTOH if I press "Do Nothing" it does nothing, of course.  So why is this
happening, and how can I make it DTRT?  Thanks.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Re: new tab weirdness

Bryan Lee
YIKES!

        xdg-open - opens a file or URL in the user's preferred application

So it sounds like chrome got changed to use xdg-open.

I advise uninstalling and reinstalling chrome.

Thus Eben King hast written on Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 11:28:12PM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:

> Whenever I open a new window in Chrome, it prints "Standard new tab
> page" in the content region (it's a link) and I get a dialog box:
>
> ,--
> | External Protocol Request
> |
> | Google Chrome needs to launch an external application to handle |
> chrome-internal links.  The link requested is
> chrome-internal://newtab/
> |
> | The following application will be launched if you accept this request:
> |
> | xdg-open
> |
> | If you did not initiate this request, it may represent an
> attempted attack | on your system.  Unless you took an explicit
> action to initiate this | request, you should press Do Nothing.
> |
> | [ ] Remember my choice for all links of this type
> |
> |           [[ Do Nothing ]]   [ Launch Application ]
> '--
>
> If I press "Launch Application" I get another dialog box:
>
> ,--
> | (!) Failed to open URI "chrome-internal://newtab    [ Close ]
> '--
>
> OTOH if I press "Do Nothing" it does nothing, of course.  So why is
> this happening, and how can I make it DTRT?  Thanks.
>
> --
> -eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
> LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
> much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
> remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: new tab weirdness

Art Eaton
https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB15-026

Advise just uninstalling it.

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Bryan Lee wrote:

> Thus Eben King hast written on Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 11:28:12PM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
>> Whenever I open a new window in Chrome, it prints "Standard new tab page"
>> in the content region (it's a link) and I get a dialog box:

>> [xdg-open]

> YIKES!
>
> xdg-open - opens a file or URL in the user's preferred application
>
> So it sounds like chrome got changed to use xdg-open.
>
> I advise uninstalling and reinstalling chrome.

Uninstalled, reinstalled, same behavior.  Where is this set, and what should
it be?

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Art Eaton wrote:

> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB15-026
>
> Advise just uninstalling it.

"it" being Chrome?

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: new tab weirdness

Bryan Lee
Thus Eben King hast written on Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 02:45:06AM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Bryan Lee wrote:
>
> >Thus Eben King hast written on Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 11:28:12PM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
> >>Whenever I open a new window in Chrome, it prints "Standard new
> >>tab page" in the content region (it's a link) and I get a dialog
> >>box:
> >>[xdg-open]
> >I advise uninstalling and reinstalling chrome.
>
> Uninstalled, reinstalled, same behavior.  Where is this set, and
> what should it be?

Well, in IceWeasel (FireFox) it would probably be in
        Preferences --> Applications

Re: new tab weirdness

Art Eaton
If chrome is important to you, you might try removing xdg-open package and chrome, then bring them back in reverse order.  Have you been using xdg-open from the terminal?

http://www.ipreferjim.com/2010/02/google-chrome-extension-new-tab-redirect-step-by-step/

On April 10, 2015, at 02:46, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Art Eaton wrote:

> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB15-026
>
> Advise just uninstalling it.

"it" being Chrome?

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: new tab weirdness

Eben King
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Art Eaton wrote:

> On April 10, 2015, at 02:46, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB15-026
>>>
>>> Advise just uninstalling it.
>>
>> "it" being Chrome?

> If chrome is important to you, you might try removing xdg-open package and
> chrome, then bring them back in reverse order.

OK.  Some other packages (deluge, one other) also require xdg-open, so
they're in there too.

> Have you been using xdg-open from the terminal?

I have not.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: new tab weirdness

Eben King
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Art Eaton wrote:

>> On April 10, 2015, at 02:46, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB15-026
>>>
>>> Advise just uninstalling it.
>>
>> "it" being Chrome?

> http://www.ipreferjim.com/2010/02/google-chrome-extension-new-tab-redirect-step-by-step/

I went to chrome://extensions and didn't see "New Tab Redirect!".  So I
figured another plugin's doing the same thing.  Disabled all of them, ^N, it
worked.  Hmm.  Enabled part of them, it didn't.  So then I disabled each one
individually -- it was "Navigate on paste".  Which really is something
Chrome should have done by itself.  But it's disabled.  No updated version
is available.  Yay, Chrome works again.  Anyone know of a substitute?

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: new tab weirdness

Jody Baudoin-2
Interesting - chrome would not work for me last night.
After a while it seemed to heal itself.
First, some add-ins crashed (such as Authy or something like that) - and
it would not browse.

After a while it seemed to heal itself.
So, I do not know what all that is about.

On 4/10/2015 8:49 AM, Art Eaton wrote:

> http://www.ipreferjim.com/2010/02/google-chrome-extension-new-tab-redirect-step-by-step/
>
> On April 10, 2015, at 02:46, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>
>> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB15-026
>>
>> Advise just uninstalling it.
> "it" being Chrome?

Re: new tab weirdness

Eben King
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Jody Baudoin wrote:

> On 4/10/2015 8:49 AM, Art Eaton wrote:
>> http://www.ipreferjim.com/2010/02/google-chrome-extension-new-tab-redirect-step-by-step/
>>
>> On April 10, 2015, at 02:46, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB15-026
>>>
>>> Advise just uninstalling it.

>> "it" being Chrome?

> Interesting - chrome would not work for me last night.
> After a while it seemed to heal itself.
> First, some add-ins crashed (such as Authy or something like that) - and it
> would not browse.
>
> After a while it seemed to heal itself.
> So, I do not know what all that is about.

Aagh!  It's spreading!  Maybe it heard?  Don't let it see this message or
it'll know we're part of the resistance.