massive RAID

Eben King
So I was thinking about a RAID made of flash drives.  Specifically, a 1 TiB
RAID made of SD cards.  Well, I did some shopping and computing, and the
largest SD card you can get at Newegg is 32 GiB.  I'd need 32 of those
_minimum_, call it 40 with redundancy.  40 cards, 40 card readers, 8 USB
hubs, and 11 power strips is not only an unholy mess that'd probably fail
somewhere if you looked at it funny, it's nearly a grand.  Obviously I'm not
going to do this.

But assuming I had taken leave of my senses, what's the best way to assemble
the 40 cards logically to get maximum redundancy?  Write speed is more
important than read speed.  We could increase the number of cards a bit if
it made it easier.

I understand RAID 0 and 1, and the concept of putting one "inside" another
e.g. RAID  1+0.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Re: massive RAID

Art Eaton
sd cards come in 128 Gig flavors all over the place at 50 bucks a pop
for the sandisk class 10 type.  8 or ten cards is a less apostate pile
than 40.

On 12/29/2015 12:18 PM, Eben King wrote:

> So I was thinking about a RAID made of flash drives. Specifically, a 1
> TiB RAID made of SD cards.  Well, I did some shopping and computing,
> and the largest SD card you can get at Newegg is 32 GiB.  I'd need 32
> of those _minimum_, call it 40 with redundancy.  40 cards, 40 card
> readers, 8 USB hubs, and 11 power strips is not only an unholy mess
> that'd probably fail somewhere if you looked at it funny, it's nearly
> a grand.  Obviously I'm not going to do this.
>
> But assuming I had taken leave of my senses, what's the best way to
> assemble the 40 cards logically to get maximum redundancy? Write speed
> is more important than read speed.  We could increase the number of
> cards a bit if it made it easier.
>
> I understand RAID 0 and 1, and the concept of putting one "inside"
> another e.g. RAID  1+0.

Re: massive RAID

Eben King
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:

> sd cards come in 128 Gig flavors all over the place at 50 bucks a pop for the
> sandisk class 10 type.  8 or ten cards is a less apostate pile than 40.

Hmm, good idea.  <browse browse> It seems I wasn't searching for the
right variant of SD.  They actually have a few 512 GiB cards, e.g.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242117

But those are crazy expensive.  If I built it from 256 GiB cards instead, it
would be:

6 cards               $510
6 readers              $42
7-port powered hub     $15
7-position power strip $15
                       ----
                       $582

Still absurd, but only about half as absurd.  If I scaled it down to two 256
GiB cards in a RAID-1, I could get away with

2 cards                $170
2 readers              $ 14
4-port powered hub     $ 12
6-position power strip $  7
                        ----
                        $205

which is in the realm of possibility, plus I could double its size at some
later date for another $92. <muse>75% smaller, but only 65% cheaper.</muse>

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: massive RAID

Floyd Roberts
Ok quick question would it not be required with RAID 10 to use 3 (or a
multiple) drives to account for striping and parity?

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Floyd Roberts wrote:

> Ok quick question would it not be required with RAID 10 to use 3 (or a
> multiple) drives to account for striping and parity?

How so?

                    +- disk
         +- RAID-0 -+- disk
         |          +- ...

RAID-1 -+          +- disk
         +- RAID-0 -+- disk
         |          +- ...

         +- ...

Or maybe that's called RAID-01.  Whatever, if it's wrong, turn it inside
out.  The minimum configuration is 4 (2*2) disks, but I suppose it could be
expanded to a product of any two integers.  And any of the disks can be
itself a multi-disk array.

Oh yeah, monospaced font, yadda yadda.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: massive RAID

PiousMinion
If you got 644,444 usb floppy drives connected in a software RAID array
you'd have 1 terabyte of storage with a read speed of 155.311004 gigabits a
second. Faster than any SSD on the market. :P

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Floyd Roberts <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ok quick question would it not be required with RAID 10 to use 3 (or a
> multiple) drives to account for striping and parity?
>
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
> >
> > sd cards come in 128 Gig flavors all over the place at 50 bucks a pop for
> >> the sandisk class 10 type.  8 or ten cards is a less apostate pile than
> 40.
> >>

> > Hmm, good idea.  <browse browse> It seems I wasn't searching for the
> right
> > variant of SD.  They actually have a few 512 GiB cards, e.g.
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242117
> >
> > But those are crazy expensive.  If I built it from 256 GiB cards instead,
> > it would be:
> >
> > 6 cards               $510
> > 6 readers              $42
> > 7-port powered hub     $15
> > 7-position power strip $15
> >                       ----
> >                       $582
> >
> > Still absurd, but only about half as absurd.  If I scaled it down to two
> > 256 GiB cards in a RAID-1, I could get away with
> >
> > 2 cards                $170
> > 2 readers              $ 14
> > 4-port powered hub     $ 12
> > 6-position power strip $  7
> >                        ----
> >                        $205
> >
> > which is in the realm of possibility, plus I could double its size at
> some
> > later date for another $92. <muse>75% smaller, but only 65%
> cheaper.</muse>
> >
> > --
> > -eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
> > LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
> > much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
> > remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: massive RAID

Floyd Roberts
Sorry I was thinking of RAID 5 apparently -  still just trying to go with
the smallest number of hardware pieces (no virtual drives) and Fastest
write speed. Thanks