Quantcast

family router

Report Content as Inappropriate

family router

Jody Baudoin-2
Hi everyone,

I looked for something like this in the past and did not find it.

I am looking for a second router where each user must login to the
router in order to access the internet.  This should work with
Linux/Windows/Mac/Android.  I want to put time quotas on each user (not
on each computer).  White list / black list per user would be nice also.

My kid suggested using a linux computer for this.
Is that a reasonable thing to do?

Regards,
Jody

--
Jody

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: family router

Eben King
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, Jody Baudoin wrote:

> I looked for something like this in the past and did not find it.
>
> I am looking for a second router where each user must login to the router in
> order to access the internet.  This should work with
> Linux/Windows/Mac/Android.  I want to put time quotas on each user (not on
> each computer).  White list / black list per user would be nice also.
>
> My kid suggested using a linux computer for this.
> Is that a reasonable thing to do?

Some stores that have customer wifi have such a system, so I know it's
possible.  They can only hijack http connections (they can block others) to
pop up the login box.  Just remember that if you're going to block MAC
spoofing by having every device log in, you'd have to log in too.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Report Content as Inappropriate

family router

R P Herrold
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, Eben King wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, Jody Baudoin wrote:
>
> > I looked for something like this in the past and did not find it.
> >
> > I am looking for a second router where each user must login to the router in
> > order to access the internet.  This should work with
> > Linux/Windows/Mac/Android.  I want to put time quotas on each user (not on
> > each computer).  White list / black list per user would be nice also.
> >
> > My kid suggested using a linux computer for this.
> > Is that a reasonable thing to do?

there was formerly a FOSS project called: Netreg
which managed the DHCP handouts, and more

When an un-known MAC appeared on a network segment, it would
be shunted off with a short term lease, to a 'gateway' for
registration, and only once registered, handed a new lease
which was routed beyond the local network segment

There was a provision for pre-populating user accounts, and
expiring such, so that a new flock of users could be 'seeded'
into the database with a password, and to expire registrations
after a configurable time

-- Russ herrold

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: family router

Darren Ellis
Hi,

I think you are looking for "Captive Portal," and there are Linux based systems what will manage/perform this function for you.

Also, Buffalo HP600 routers have a built in captive portal, though it's not supported by Buffalo. The router firmware is a branded blend of dd-wrt.

I hope this helps.

Darren

Darren Ellis [mailto:[hidden email]]
Network Engineer
IEWorks [http://www.ieworks.net]
941.257.0888

On 12/30/2015 12:09:41 PM, R P Herrold <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, Eben King wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, Jody Baudoin wrote:
>
> > I looked for something like this in the past and did not find it.
> >
> > I am looking for a second router where each user must login to the router in
> > order to access the internet. This should work with
> > Linux/Windows/Mac/Android. I want to put time quotas on each user (not on
> > each computer). White list / black list per user would be nice also.
> >
> > My kid suggested using a linux computer for this.
> > Is that a reasonable thing to do?

there was formerly a FOSS project called: Netreg
which managed the DHCP handouts, and more

When an un-known MAC appeared on a network segment, it would
be shunted off with a short term lease, to a 'gateway' for
registration, and only once registered, handed a new lease
which was routed beyond the local network segment

There was a provision for pre-populating user accounts, and
expiring such, so that a new flock of users could be 'seeded'
into the database with a password, and to expire registrations
after a configurable time

-- Russ herrold

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: family router

Gene Barlow
You might first check with your internet provider to see if they have an
updated router that offers "guest" features by default.  This way you could
have just one device that does it all.  I have FiOS and they offer a router
that does it.

I have an older router though so I'm not familiar with the functionality and
instead I use a 3-part Unifi AP solution at home which offers a "hotspot"
feature.  I can generate "vouchers" for friends/family in which they connect
to Wifi, then get a logon page in which they can enter in the
time-restricted voucher.  I can also blacklist based on MAC address.  It's a
good system.

Do you want to restrict websites as well and/or monitor internet usage or IM
conversations?

As Darren pointed out, there are definitely Linux products that would do
this, but any kid who is smart enough to recommend it, might be someone
smart enough to have a workaround :)  So consider that if part of your
reason is to restrict/control access for your kid(s).

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: family router

Jody Baudoin-2
I appreciate the responses.  I have some things to look into to.

**My top concern is isolating the kids computers from my work computers.
Can that be done with a second router?

If I am going to add another router, then I would like user time limit
quotas (and perhaps other controls).
My Verizon router has controls, but not for users and not for daily usage.

Thanks everyone.
Jody

On 12/30/2015 12:36 PM, Gene wrote:

> You might first check with your internet provider to see if they have an
> updated router that offers "guest" features by default.  This way you could
> have just one device that does it all.  I have FiOS and they offer a router
> that does it.
>
> I have an older router though so I'm not familiar with the functionality and
> instead I use a 3-part Unifi AP solution at home which offers a "hotspot"
> feature.  I can generate "vouchers" for friends/family in which they connect
> to Wifi, then get a logon page in which they can enter in the
> time-restricted voucher.  I can also blacklist based on MAC address.  It's a
> good system.
>
> Do you want to restrict websites as well and/or monitor internet usage or IM
> conversations?
>
> As Darren pointed out, there are definitely Linux products that would do
> this, but any kid who is smart enough to recommend it, might be someone
> smart enough to have a workaround :)  So consider that if part of your
> reason is to restrict/control access for your kid(s).

Jody

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: family router

Darren Ellis
Hi All,

The Buffalo router I mentioned earlier can have virtual WiFi interfaces, so you could password protect your LAN on one interface, and put the kids on a different virtual interface. Then add captive portal like Chilispot, WiFiDog, etc to implement controls. Many WiFi routers have multiple interfaces now. Routers based on or that can run DD-WRT can give you the capabilities you seek.

YMMV. I haven't touched Chillispot for a few years, but it was good back then. Here's hoping it's better now.

On 12/30/2015 2:57:36 PM, Jody Baudoin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I appreciate the responses. I have some things to look into to.

**My top concern is isolating the kids computers from my work computers.
Can that be done with a second router?

If I am going to add another router, then I would like user time limit
quotas (and perhaps other controls).
My Verizon router has controls, but not for users and not for daily usage.

Thanks everyone.
Jody

On 12/30/2015 12:36 PM, Gene wrote:

> You might first check with your internet provider to see if they have an
> updated router that offers "guest" features by default. This way you could
> have just one device that does it all. I have FiOS and they offer a router
> that does it.
>
> I have an older router though so I'm not familiar with the functionality and
> instead I use a 3-part Unifi AP solution at home which offers a "hotspot"
> feature. I can generate "vouchers" for friends/family in which they connect
> to Wifi, then get a logon page in which they can enter in the
> time-restricted voucher. I can also blacklist based on MAC address. It's a
> good system.
>
> Do you want to restrict websites as well and/or monitor internet usage or IM
> conversations?
>
> As Darren pointed out, there are definitely Linux products that would do
> this, but any kid who is smart enough to recommend it, might be someone
> smart enough to have a workaround :) So consider that if part of your
> reason is to restrict/control access for your kid(s).

Jody

Report Content as Inappropriate

Thank you from Jody - Re: family router

Jody Baudoin-2
Based on a number of emails concerning this thread, I purchased a dd-wrt
router.
It looks non-trivial to setup in some ways, but it looks to be feature rich.

I already knocked out browser admin access by mistake, which took some
time to re-enable by telnet.
I thought disabling http:// would be a good thing (but https would not
work)....

What concerns me it that I might be leaving access holes in the setup.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone that wrote to this thread.
Jody