Someone explain this plan?

Report Content as Inappropriate

Someone explain this plan?

Pete Theisen
Hi SLUGGERS,

I have had a virgin dumb phone for several years, maybe 10 years even.
It texts but the keyboard is really oxidized and it is a chore to type.
I Pay about $5 a month, I guess. I am looking at . . .

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/lg-tribute-2-phone/features/?intid=AB:RT3:160111:BT:Trib2:30Off:GIN#plan

I can't figure out the 1/3/8 GB Unlimited data, talk, text idea. If I
got wifi only would I be likely to find hot spots everywhere or?
--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Someone explain this plan?

Jacob Gissendanner
The 1/3/8 thing SEEMS to be a deal where you technically have unlimited
data, but once you go past the specified amount (1 gigabyte, for the
first one) you get throttled to very slow 2G speeds.  2G is something
like 50k/s (someone correct me).  Here is the text I found relating to
this at the link you sent, hidden in small text.

---- Quote ----

     "Speeds restored at beginning of next plan cycle. Data packs
available for select plans/devices & expire when depleted or 30 days
from purchase date. Virgin Mobile has no annual contracts; service
subject to certain terms. Select plans include unlimited domestic talk &
text. International services extra and subject to applicable rates. $25
Talk & Text plan only: Additional domestic minutes 10 [cents] each.

     Limitless Music: Some streaming partners may require paid
subscription or assess other fees. Cloud streaming, song downloads,
video content, non-audio content and other data sent by streaming
partners (e.g., pic advertisements, album art) excluded. Hotspot data
not included. Available from select content providers.

     Other terms:Taxes & fees may apply when adding funds to account.
Price, offers and coverage subject to change & not available everywhere
or for all phones/networks. Additional terms, prohibited network use
rules & other restrictions apply. See virginmobileusa.com/legal for
complete details."

---- Quote ----

I do not have experience with what Virgin has for hotspots included with
service.   I did recently spend a lot of time on the road the last few
months.  When I was not using my Verizon 4G modem, Starbucks and
McDonalds had all the wifi you could want for free (almost always).  I
am sure it goes without saying connecting to random open networks is
hairy, so use a VPN...

Anyways, this seems to be an app (in the UK, at least) that you could
install on the phone (if it is not already) that would show you where a
Virgin wireless hotspot would be.  I have not ever used this application
OR used Virgin mobile - so this is all coming with general ignorance on
my part.  It may not even work in the US.

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/broadbandextras/wifi-buddy.html

If you aren't planning on watching video or streaming audio on the phone
- just using it mostly for text of very light web browsing - you might
not even need wireless hotspots.  It may make sense to buy a few gigs
for the first month and see what you use and see what your options are.
  You can just add data on as you go it seems, so maybe you don't even
have to buy it up front.

Sorry if this is either useless, insulting, or rambling.  I am just mind
dumping here.

PS.  Good job holding out on getting a "smart phone" for this long.  I
tried going back to land line and pager this last year and my employer
told me it was not going to work.

PPS.  Wow, that was a lot of text.

On 1/17/16 8:59 PM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Hi SLUGGERS,
>
> I have had a virgin dumb phone for several years, maybe 10 years even.
> It texts but the keyboard is really oxidized and it is a chore to type.
> I Pay about $5 a month, I guess. I am looking at . . .
>
> http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/lg-tribute-2-phone/features/?intid=AB:RT3:160111:BT:Trib2:30Off:GIN#plan
>

> I can't figure out the 1/3/8 GB Unlimited data, talk, text idea. If I
> got wifi only would I be likely to find hot spots everywhere or?

--
Jake Gissendanner

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Someone explain this plan?

Robin Miller
Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Bradenton, Florida
On Jan 17, 2016 8:59 PM, "Pete Theisen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
*I am looking at . . .

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/lg-tribute-2-phone/features/?intid=AB:RT3:160111:BT:Trib2:30Off:GIN#plan

> I can't figure out the 1/3/8 GB Unlimited data, talk, text idea. If I got
wifi only would I be likely to find hot spots everywhere or?

I have the Virgin $35/mo. unlimited plan, and I have the phone you noted as
a backup, with an HTC Desire 816 as my main one.

To use WiFi only, there's no need to sign up with a cellular carrier. I
have a Samsung tablet like that. Can only get online with it at places like
Panera bread that provide WiFi, but I use it for movies and Kindling, so
don't care about having it connected all the time.