Software Freedom Day

Samuel Elliot
Hey Gang,

I just received a notice that Palm Beach County Linux User Group (PBCLUG)
is hosting Software Freedom Day in Boca Raton this year.  Does anyone want
to do anything this year with SLUG?  Should we plan for this, create some
recognition, promote Linux and the like?

Sam :D

Re: Software Freedom Day

Jody Baudoin-2
Perhaps someone explain what this event is, and what freedom-day represents.

Thanks.

On 08/05/2013 06:20 PM, Samuel Elliot wrote:

> Hey Gang,
>
> I just received a notice that Palm Beach County Linux User Group (PBCLUG)
> is hosting Software Freedom Day in Boca Raton this year.  Does anyone want
> to do anything this year with SLUG?  Should we plan for this, create some
> recognition, promote Linux and the like?
>

> Sam :D

Re: Software Freedom Day

Pete Theisen
On 08/05/2013 06:20 PM, Samuel Elliot wrote:
> Hey Gang,
>
> I just received a notice that Palm Beach County Linux User Group (PBCLUG)
> is hosting Software Freedom Day in Boca Raton this year.  Does anyone want
> to do anything this year with SLUG?  Should we plan for this, create some
> recognition, promote Linux and the like?
>

> Sam :D

Hi Sam,

Has a date been set?
--
Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: Software Freedom Day

Robin Miller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_freedom_day

--
Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Software Freedom Day

Robert Snyder
What!?!

I thought it was about getting drunk while celebrating Software
independence from the evil master controller program.  Well hell I been
throwing parties for the completely wrong reason.

Rob

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Jody Baudoin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Perhaps someone explain what this event is, and what freedom-day
> represents.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_freedom_day
>

> --
> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
> Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Software Freedom Day

Samuel Elliot
Robert, no you have it so right! I take it you'd support the idea of
watching TRON & TRON Legacy as homage to those lost in battle? Seriously
though, we can come up with something for the 28th, that gives us 22 days.
Hopefully Dylan, Bill, Brian, William, or one of the numerous active group
members think the freedom of software is worthy of a day in our busy
schedules.
On Aug 6, 2013 6:18 AM, "Robert Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What!?!
>
> I thought it was about getting drunk while celebrating Software
> independence from the evil master controller program.  Well hell I been
> throwing parties for the completely wrong reason.
>
> Rob
>

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Jody Baudoin
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Perhaps someone explain what this event is, and what freedom-day
> > represents.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_freedom_day
> >

> > --
> > Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
> > Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Software Freedom Day

Luke-Jr
I'm in if it's near Brooksville.
If we do something family-friendly, I can probably bring the kids too. :)

On Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:30:27 AM Samuel Elliot wrote:

> Robert, no you have it so right! I take it you'd support the idea of
> watching TRON & TRON Legacy as homage to those lost in battle? Seriously
> though, we can come up with something for the 28th, that gives us 22 days.
> Hopefully Dylan, Bill, Brian, William, or one of the numerous active group
> members think the freedom of software is worthy of a day in our busy
> schedules.
>
> On Aug 6, 2013 6:18 AM, "Robert Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > What!?!
> >
> > I thought it was about getting drunk while celebrating Software
> > independence from the evil master controller program.  Well hell I been
> > throwing parties for the completely wrong reason.
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > represents.
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_freedom_day
> > >

> > > --
> > > Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
> > > Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Software Freedom Day

Luke Varnadore
Dylan, did you say you were going to have someone else coordinate this? I
would like to help.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Luke-Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in if it's near Brooksville.
> If we do something family-friendly, I can probably bring the kids too. :)
>
> On Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:30:27 AM Samuel Elliot wrote:
> > Robert, no you have it so right! I take it you'd support the idea of
> > watching TRON & TRON Legacy as homage to those lost in battle? Seriously
> > though, we can come up with something for the 28th, that gives us 22
> days.
> > Hopefully Dylan, Bill, Brian, William, or one of the numerous active
> group
> > members think the freedom of software is worthy of a day in our busy
> > schedules.
> >
> > On Aug 6, 2013 6:18 AM, "Robert Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > What!?!
> > >
> > > I thought it was about getting drunk while celebrating Software
> > > independence from the evil master controller program.  Well hell I been
> > > throwing parties for the completely wrong reason.
> > >
> > > Rob

Re: Software Freedom Day

dylan
Administrator
Per our brief discussion on IRC: Luke Varnadore is to organize our SFD
event.
Luke, can you make the Tampa meeting to plan out our actions?

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Luke Varnadore <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dylan, did you say you were going to have someone else coordinate this? I
> would like to help.
>

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Luke-Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm in if it's near Brooksville.
> > If we do something family-friendly, I can probably bring the kids too. :)
> >
> > On Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:30:27 AM Samuel Elliot wrote:
> > > Robert, no you have it so right! I take it you'd support the idea of
> > > watching TRON & TRON Legacy as homage to those lost in battle?
> Seriously
> > > though, we can come up with something for the 28th, that gives us 22
> > days.
> > > Hopefully Dylan, Bill, Brian, William, or one of the numerous active
> > group
> > > members think the freedom of software is worthy of a day in our busy
> > > schedules.

> been

Re: Software Freedom Day

Luke-Jr
On Thursday, August 08, 2013 3:30:08 AM Dylan William Hardison wrote:
> Per our brief discussion on IRC:

We have an IRC channel?

Re: Software Freedom Day

dylan
Administrator
We have an entire network. irc.suncoastlug.org, on the standard SSL port
6697.