Sigmurethra #7

SLUG Automailer
Suncoast Linux Users Group
==========================

Welcome to the seventh edition of Sigmurethra - the newsletter for the SLUG
community!

MEETING SCHEDULE
================

Pinellas Meeting
----------------

*Topics*:

* Using Vim
* Open Mic - .vimrc show & tell

*Date*: Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 @ 18:00 - 20:00

*Location*:
Pinellas Park Public Library,
7770 52nd St N.
Pinellas Park FL 33781

Kicking off what will be a series of talks, there will be a talk on
using vim, covering fundementals and a few of the features that make vim
worthwhile. If you've never used vim, or you've attempted to use vim
and only read enough of the welcome screen to say :q!, this talk is for
you.

If you don't know what ":-23t." does, this talk might also be for
you.

Following the talk, there will be time for people to share vim
configuration options.

CONTRIBUTING

Re: Sigmurethra #7

Pete Theisen
On 05/13/2013 01:50 AM, SLUG Automailer wrote:

OK, this time the  camera can be close enough to get the whole screen.
But maybe then the shadow will be a problem? Have to experiment.

> Suncoast Linux Users Group
> ==========================
>
> Welcome to the seventh edition of Sigmurethra - the newsletter for the SLUG
> community!

> MEETING SCHEDULE
> ================
>
> Pinellas Meeting
> ----------------
>
> *Topics*:
>
> * Using Vim
> * Open Mic - .vimrc show & tell
>
> *Date*: Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 @ 18:00 - 20:00
>
> *Location*:
> Pinellas Park Public Library,
> 7770 52nd St N.
> Pinellas Park FL 33781
>
> Kicking off what will be a series of talks, there will be a talk on
> using vim, covering fundementals and a few of the features that make vim
> worthwhile. If you've never used vim, or you've attempted to use vim
> and only read enough of the welcome screen to say :q!, this talk is for
> you.
>
> If you don't know what ":-23t." does, this talk might also be for
> you.
>
> Following the talk, there will be time for people to share vim
> configuration options.

> CONTRIBUTING

Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: Sigmurethra #8

Pete Theisen
On 05/13/2013 02:04 AM, Pete Theisen wrote:

Sigmurethra has to move up a week from now on . . .

Sarasota Beta Meeting

"a presentation of his (Robin's) way-cool Walmart Android tablet and the
apps he has on it.

That, and get those lovely ladies who were in the lobby to attend, gasp.
Try sweet talking . . . WeeRobby!

Finally, I have a "Squad Problem" for the group to entertain. About
converting .xls files that contain text fields that are punctuated with
commas and the like into MySQL data files. I haven't a clue . . .

First Wednesday monthly, 7PM, Star2Star Communications
600 Tallevast Road, Sarasota, Florida 34243 (I-75 south to
Sarasota/Bradenton airport exit. Right (West) to US-41, Right (North) to
Tallevast (far side of the airport), Right again to second building on
the right, maybe 1/4 mile, looks like a hanger)"

Still waiting on the phone number to get someone to the door from
WeeRobby . . .

>> Suncoast Linux Users Group
>> ==========================
>>
>> Welcome to the (8th) edition of Sigmurethra - the newsletter for the
>> SLUG community!

>> MEETING SCHEDULE

Re: Sigmurethra #8

Robert Snyder
Sorry, as always I been busy working on work.

I will be there to greet everyone to let them in but if we have any late
stragglers

941-234-0001 ext 346 will ring my cellphone.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 05/13/2013 02:04 AM, Pete Theisen wrote:
>
> Sigmurethra has to move up a week from now on . . .
>
> Sarasota Beta Meeting
>
> "a presentation of his (Robin's) way-cool Walmart Android tablet and the
> apps he has on it.
>
> That, and get those lovely ladies who were in the lobby to attend, gasp.
> Try sweet talking . . . WeeRobby!
>
> Finally, I have a "Squad Problem" for the group to entertain. About
> converting .xls files that contain text fields that are punctuated with
> commas and the like into MySQL data files. I haven't a clue . . .
>
> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM, Star2Star Communications
> 600 Tallevast Road, Sarasota, Florida 34243 (I-75 south to
> Sarasota/Bradenton airport exit. Right (West) to US-41, Right (North) to
> Tallevast (far side of the airport), Right again to second building on the
> right, maybe 1/4 mile, looks like a hanger)"
>
> Still waiting on the phone number to get someone to the door from WeeRobby
> . . .
>
>  Suncoast Linux Users Group
>>> ==========================
>>>
>>> Welcome to the (8th) edition of Sigmurethra - the newsletter for the
>>> SLUG community!

>>> -----------
>>>
>>> MEETING SCHEDULE
>>> ================
>>>
>> --
> Regards,
>
> Pete
> http://pete-theisen.com/
> http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: Sigmurethra #8

Brandon Johnson
The simple solution for the "Squad Problem" is to save the xlsx file as a
csv in Excel but using a non-occurring custom delimiter, such as
"&428869xyzpdq1234" and then using the MySQL "LOAD DATA INFILE" option
while setting the delimiter. If you want to Skype me into the meeting (I
can't really drive down to Sarasota to join) I'd be happy to go over an
example. After all, being a MySQL DBA is my day job and this question comes
up a lot. :)

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Robert Snyder <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Sorry, as always I been busy working on work.
>
> I will be there to greet everyone to let them in but if we have any late
> stragglers
>
> 941-234-0001 ext 346 will ring my cellphone.
>

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > On 05/13/2013 02:04 AM, Pete Theisen wrote:
> >
> > Sigmurethra has to move up a week from now on . . .
> >
> > Sarasota Beta Meeting
> >
> > "a presentation of his (Robin's) way-cool Walmart Android tablet and the
> > apps he has on it.
> >
> > That, and get those lovely ladies who were in the lobby to attend, gasp.
> > Try sweet talking . . . WeeRobby!
> >
> > Finally, I have a "Squad Problem" for the group to entertain. About
> > converting .xls files that contain text fields that are punctuated with
> > commas and the like into MySQL data files. I haven't a clue . . .
> >
> > First Wednesday monthly, 7PM, Star2Star Communications
> > 600 Tallevast Road, Sarasota, Florida 34243 (I-75 south to
> > Sarasota/Bradenton airport exit. Right (West) to US-41, Right (North) to
> > Tallevast (far side of the airport), Right again to second building on
> the
> > right, maybe 1/4 mile, looks like a hanger)"
> >
> > Still waiting on the phone number to get someone to the door from
> WeeRobby
> > . . .
> >
> >  Suncoast Linux Users Group

> >> --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Pete
> > http://pete-theisen.com/
> > http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: Sigmurethra #8

Pete Theisen
On 06/03/2013 05:51 PM, Brandon Johnson wrote:
> The simple solution for the "Squad Problem" is to save the xlsx file as a
> csv in Excel but using a non-occurring custom delimiter, such as
> "&428869xyzpdq1234" and then using the MySQL "LOAD DATA INFILE" option
> while setting the delimiter. If you want to Skype me into the meeting (I
> can't really drive down to Sarasota to join) I'd be happy to go over an
> example. After all, being a MySQL DBA is my day job and this question comes
> up a lot. :)

Two immediate difficulties. I don't have skype and I don't have exel. I
do have OpenOffice Calc and LibreOffice whatever, depending upon which
box. Sorry to be difficult . . .

:-(

--
Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: Sigmurethra #8

Brandon Johnson
There's tons of webchat software, such as google video chat for one. :)

As for the OpenOffice, I don't use it often enough to know if that's
possible on there, but I believe it is. You stated you had an excel file,
so that's why I recommended using excel. :P

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 06/03/2013 05:51 PM, Brandon Johnson wrote:
>
>> The simple solution for the "Squad Problem" is to save the xlsx file as a
>> csv in Excel but using a non-occurring custom delimiter, such as
>> "&428869xyzpdq1234" and then using the MySQL "LOAD DATA INFILE" option
>> while setting the delimiter. If you want to Skype me into the meeting (I
>> can't really drive down to Sarasota to join) I'd be happy to go over an
>> example. After all, being a MySQL DBA is my day job and this question
>> comes
>> up a lot. :)
>>

> Two immediate difficulties. I don't have skype and I don't have exel. I do
> have OpenOffice Calc and LibreOffice whatever, depending upon which box.
> Sorry to be difficult . . .
>
> :-(
>
>  On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Robert Snyder <[hidden email]
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Sorry, as always I been busy working on work.
>>>
>>> I will be there to greet everyone to let them in but if we have any late
>>> stragglers
>>>
>>> 941-234-0001 ext 346 will ring my cellphone.
>>>

>>> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]

>>> the

>>> WeeRobby
>>>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Pete
> http://pete-theisen.com/
> http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: Sigmurethra #8

Pete Theisen
On 06/03/2013 08:34 PM, Brandon Johnson wrote:

That has also come up - don't have the hardware interface for the
headset. Argh!

I did these files over years of med school and private practice. They
just happen to be in excel. I started them in M$ Work$ 2. Went to Linux
after the Great Satan sued my little nonprofit. Removed windows and
windows software from all machines.

--
Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: Sigmurethra #8

rsmoot

---- Pete Theisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 06/03/2013 08:34 PM, Brandon Johnson wrote:
>
> That has also come up - don't have the hardware interface for the
> headset. Argh!
>
> I did these files over years of med school and private practice. They
> just happen to be in excel. I started them in M$ Work$ 2. Went to Linux
> after the Great Satan sued my little nonprofit. Removed windows and
> windows software from all machines.

Was the Great Satan the BSA?

                        Richard Smoot