Seamonkey Files

rsmoot
I got hit by a BS Micrsoft service provider while in Suse Linux in the Seamonkey Browser.
They wanted me to call 1-800-256-0687 to fix my nonexistant Windows malware problems.
This crapware seems to be enhanced since the last time I saw this BS. In the past I would
play with it a bit and get warning that a script was attempting to run and if I wanted to
kill it.
This one is really persistant. I have uninstalled Seamonkey and I see no sign of it. My other
browsers are OK. When I reinstall Seamonkey, it is back. I cann't recall where the extra Seamonkey
files are in my filesystem. I need to uninstall Seamonkey And delete all the related files.
Can anybody tell me where the files are?

                          Richard Smoot

Re: Seamonkey Files

Eben King
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, [hidden email] wrote:

> I got hit by a BS Micrsoft service provider while in Suse Linux in the Seamonkey Browser.
> They wanted me to call 1-800-256-0687 to fix my nonexistant Windows malware problems.
> This crapware seems to be enhanced since the last time I saw this BS. In the past I would
> play with it a bit and get warning that a script was attempting to run and if I wanted to
> kill it.
> This one is really persistant. I have uninstalled Seamonkey and I see no sign of it. My other
> browsers are OK. When I reinstall Seamonkey, it is back. I cann't recall where the extra Seamonkey
> files are in my filesystem. I need to uninstall Seamonkey And delete all the related files.
> Can anybody tell me where the files are?

Install it, and through Synaptic, right click, properties, installed files.
Other package managers probably have similar functionality.

While you're in there you could do a "complete removal" of all Seamonkey
files.  This removes your prefs and stuff too, so it'll kill your bookmarks.
There might be some sort of bookmark export function, so you could try that
to preserve them across installations.

My guess is that the malware installed a plugin.  In Firefox they're at
~/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions .  Sorry, no Seamonkey here.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Re: Seamonkey Files

Art Eaton
User Profiles?

On 12/13/2015 6:59 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I got hit by a BS Micrsoft service provider while in Suse Linux in the Seamonkey Browser.
> They wanted me to call 1-800-256-0687 to fix my nonexistant Windows malware problems.
> This crapware seems to be enhanced since the last time I saw this BS. In the past I would
> play with it a bit and get warning that a script was attempting to run and if I wanted to
> kill it.
> This one is really persistant. I have uninstalled Seamonkey and I see no sign of it. My other
> browsers are OK. When I reinstall Seamonkey, it is back. I cann't recall where the extra Seamonkey
> files are in my filesystem. I need to uninstall Seamonkey And delete all the related files.
> Can anybody tell me where the files are?
>

>                            Richard Smoot

Re: Seamonkey Files

Andrew Gilbertson
If SeaMonkey follows the usual Mozilla pattern, they'll be in
~/.mozilla/seamonkey/[some random 8-character string].[profile name]/
For example, on my system, SeaMonkey files are in
~/.mozilla/seamonkey/mw65aklh.default

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Art Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> User Profiles?

>> I got hit by a BS Micrsoft service provider while in Suse Linux in the
>> Seamonkey Browser.
>> They wanted me to call 1-800-256-0687 to fix my nonexistant Windows
>> malware problems.
>> This crapware seems to be enhanced since the last time I saw this BS. In
>> the past I would
>> play with it a bit and get warning that a script was attempting to run and
>> if I wanted to
>> kill it.
>> This one is really persistant. I have uninstalled Seamonkey and I see no
>> sign of it. My other
>> browsers are OK. When I reinstall Seamonkey, it is back. I cann't recall
>> where the extra Seamonkey
>> files are in my filesystem. I need to uninstall Seamonkey And delete all
>> the related files.
>> Can anybody tell me where the files are?
>>

>>                            Richard Smoot

The power of the Executive to cast a man in prison without formulating
any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgment
of his peers is in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of
all totalitarian government

--Winston Churchill

Re: Seamonkey Files

Eben King
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, [hidden email] wrote:

> I got hit by a BS Micrsoft service provider while in Suse Linux in the Seamonkey Browser.
> They wanted me to call 1-800-256-0687 to fix my nonexistant Windows malware problems.
> This crapware seems to be enhanced since the last time I saw this BS. In the past I would
> play with it a bit and get warning that a script was attempting to run and if I wanted to
> kill it.
> This one is really persistant. I have uninstalled Seamonkey and I see no sign of it. My other
> browsers are OK. When I reinstall Seamonkey, it is back. I cann't recall where the extra Seamonkey
> files are in my filesystem. I need to uninstall Seamonkey And delete all the related files.
> Can anybody tell me where the files are?

Chrome : Chromium :: Firefox : Seamonkey ?

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: Seamonkey Files

Art Eaton
Yep....Also Nightly, Developer edition etc...
   With the 64 bit dev edition, I see no reason to worry about Seamonkey.

On 12/14/2015 11:27 AM, Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I got hit by a BS Micrsoft service provider while in Suse Linux in
>> the Seamonkey Browser.
>> They wanted me to call 1-800-256-0687 to fix my nonexistant Windows
>> malware problems.
>> This crapware seems to be enhanced since the last time I saw this BS.
>> In the past I would
>> play with it a bit and get warning that a script was attempting to
>> run and if I wanted to
>> kill it.
>> This one is really persistant. I have uninstalled Seamonkey and I see
>> no sign of it. My other
>> browsers are OK. When I reinstall Seamonkey, it is back. I cann't
>> recall where the extra Seamonkey
>> files are in my filesystem. I need to uninstall Seamonkey And delete
>> all the related files.
>> Can anybody tell me where the files are?
>
> Chrome : Chromium :: Firefox : Seamonkey ?

Re: Seamonkey Files

Andrew Gilbertson
Sort of.  More Netscape Navigator (browser) : Firefox :: Netscape
Navigator (suite) : SeaMonkey.  There's really no need for an open
source branch of Firefox (like there are for Chrome (Chromium) and
Android (AOSP)) because Firefox is already open source.