Rookie Mail

Floyd Roberts
Hello world. I have a question / project which I could use guidance on. I
have wanted / Needed to root my android phone for quite a while (have had
rooted phones - need some software which requires it etc) BUT I have a deep
seated need to do this myself. There are a number of good instructions on
the web on how to. Many are simply third party routes to programs which
claim to accomplish this, some appear valid but non trivial. I am ok with
non trivial, however I have a foundational trust issue. As I am not sure
the non trivial internet explanation can be trusted not to brick my device
EVEN if I were to follow instructions carefully.
Has anyone out there ACTUALLY PERSONALLY FROM SCRATCH rooted an android
device? If so I would love a recommendation on the link below, or
directions to a method which was used. Additionally If there are others in
my situation I would love to work with them to do this. Yes it is supposed
to be no more than the work of an afternoon, but so is swapping the engine
on a chevy.....
Thanks for reading
Floyd - DPR

Here is what I think is the most complete link with which I have unfounded
superstition based trust concerns... It seems to come from a good source
but I would really just like to talk with someone human who has done this.
Its my first time and I want it to be special.

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-root-att-inspire-4g-20535/

More Good advice ?

http://lifehacker.com/5789397/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-rooting-any-android-phone

Re: Rookie Mail

Art Eaton
I tried to root my wife's Android.  Stuck toothpicks in it in a glass of
water, potted it, even dumped miracle grow in it. Nothing.  I think it
is still buried in the back yard.
   For anyone else, if you want to avoid bricking your phone more than
doing it yourself, I would check out oneclickroot.com.  Yes, it is a
black box, and you do not know what it is doing.  No, back when I used
it on someone else's phone (I did not actually try to root Linda's phone
by any agricultural or other means) it did not support Jellybean (though
it may now).  I did look at "superoneclick" also, and it had a lot of
limitations.  Oneclickroot worked nicely.  I have heard that
unrevoked.com (on-line root utility) does pretty good too, and they have
pretty pictures of the phones they support right there.
   I know this isn't the advice you are looking for, just my two cents
and all I have to give experience-wise on the matter.
On 1/27/2014 10:58 AM, Floyd Roberts wrote:

> Hello world. I have a question / project which I could use guidance on. I
> have wanted / Needed to root my android phone for quite a while (have had
> rooted phones - need some software which requires it etc) BUT I have a deep
> seated need to do this myself. There are a number of good instructions on
> the web on how to. Many are simply third party routes to programs which
> claim to accomplish this, some appear valid but non trivial. I am ok with
> non trivial, however I have a foundational trust issue. As I am not sure
> the non trivial internet explanation can be trusted not to brick my device
> EVEN if I were to follow instructions carefully.
> Has anyone out there ACTUALLY PERSONALLY FROM SCRATCH rooted an android
> device? If so I would love a recommendation on the link below, or
> directions to a method which was used. Additionally If there are others in
> my situation I would love to work with them to do this. Yes it is supposed
> to be no more than the work of an afternoon, but so is swapping the engine
> on a chevy.....
> Thanks for reading
> Floyd - DPR
>
> Here is what I think is the most complete link with which I have unfounded
> superstition based trust concerns... It seems to come from a good source
> but I would really just like to talk with someone human who has done this.
> Its my first time and I want it to be special.
>
> http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-root-att-inspire-4g-20535/
>

> More Good advice ?
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5789397/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-rooting-any-android-phone

Re: Rookie Mail

dylan
Administrator
It really depends entirely on the phone. For the Nexus line, you run
one command (which has the "security feature" of wiping the data
partition). For non-nexus phones, this is typically a bit more
involved and device-specific.

The instructions you linked look legit. :)