Re: [SLUG] webcast

Pete Theisen
Eben King wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

>> Yes. And the easiest way to do it is through ustream.tv, which gives
>> you a record option, too.
>>
>> A passable webcam is cheap compared to the cost of a wedding, btw - I
>> have this one -
>> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+HD+Webcam+C525/1722057.p?id=1218285823830&skuId=1722057&cmp=RMX&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx
>>

> OK.  I ordered that camera from Amazon (half the price), installed
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a few partitions of a USB drive (and fixed grub so
> the host machine boots WITHOUT the drive attached, and did some other
> stuff including making me not an administrator), got myself registered
> on ustream (I'm eben-k), then figured I'd probably need Flash at some
> point, so went to install it.  Synaptic (or whatever 12.04 uses) wants
> ROOT's password. Ubuntu doesn't give that, so I went to tty1 and entered
>
> % sudo passwd root
> [sudo] password for eben:
> eben is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>
> Reporting's not a problem, this is my machine.  But what do I do?  Do I
> have to use sysresccd, break into my own machine, or is there an
> official way?

Hi Eben,

Call the police and have yourself arrested. And let it be a lesson to you.

:-) Use your "eben" password.

--
Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: [SLUG] webcast

Pete Theisen
Eben King wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
>
>>> Reporting's not a problem, this is my machine.  But what do I do?  Do
>>> I have to use sysresccd, break into my own machine, or is there an
>>> official way?
>>
>> Tim Lord has been using this software -
>> http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php
>
> OK, how does that help add me to the sudoers file so I can install sw?

Hi Eben,

It is asking for "password for eben", use the same password you log on with.

This link from Robin is to something you can use to record your desktop
- just show the video on your desktop and record away. Probably solves
your project.
--
Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: webcast

Eben King
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
>>
>>> A passable webcam is cheap compared to the cost of a wedding, btw - I have
>>> this one -
>>> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+HD+Webcam+C525/1722057.p?id=1218285823830&skuId=1722057&cmp=RMX&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx
>>
>> OK.  I ordered that camera from Amazon (half the price), installed Ubuntu
>> 12.04 LTS on a few partitions of a USB drive (and fixed grub so the host
>> machine boots WITHOUT the drive attached, and did some other stuff
>> including making me not an administrator), got myself registered on ustream
>> (I'm eben-k), then figured I'd probably need Flash at some point, so went
>> to install it.  Synaptic (or whatever 12.04 uses) wants ROOT's password.
>> Ubuntu doesn't give that, so I went to tty1 and entered
>>
>> % sudo passwd root
>> [sudo] password for eben:
>> eben is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>>
>> Reporting's not a problem, this is my machine.  But what do I do?  Do I
>> have to use sysresccd, break into my own machine, or is there an official
>> way?
>
> Hi Eben,
>
> Call the police and have yourself arrested. And let it be a lesson to you.
>
> :-) Use your "eben" password.

Didn't like it.  I mounted / and looked at /etc/sudoers.  Anyone in the
"admin" group can do "sudo anything".  I mounted /usr and chrooted to /, but
"admin" didn't exist (I had been the last user, so it was removed when I
left).  So I re-created the "admin" group then added myself to it.  Reboot
normally.  Installation now asks for MY password, not root's.

--
-eben      [hidden email]      royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: Why do black holes never learn?
A: Because they're too dense.  -- ZurkisPhreek on Fark

Re: webcast

Pete Theisen
Pete Theisen wrote:

> Eben King wrote:

>>> Yes. And the easiest way to do it is through ustream.tv, which gives
>>> you a record option, too.
>>>
>>> A passable webcam is cheap compared to the cost of a wedding, btw - I
>>> have this one -
>>> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+HD+Webcam+C525/1722057.p?id=1218285823830&skuId=1722057&cmp=RMX&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx
>>>

>> OK.  I ordered that camera from Amazon (half the price), installed
>> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a few partitions of a USB drive (and fixed grub so
>> the host machine boots WITHOUT the drive attached, and did some other
>> stuff including making me not an administrator), got myself registered
>> on ustream (I'm eben-k), then figured I'd probably need Flash at some
>> point, so went to install it.  Synaptic (or whatever 12.04 uses) wants
>> ROOT's password. Ubuntu doesn't give that, so I went to tty1 and entered
>>
>> % sudo passwd root
>> [sudo] password for eben:
>> eben is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
>>
>> Reporting's not a problem, this is my machine.  But what do I do?  Do
>> I have to use sysresccd, break into my own machine, or is there an
>> official way?

> Call the police and have yourself arrested. And let it be a lesson to you.
>
> :-) Use your "eben" password.

OK, funning you by not telling the whole story. Ubuntu is gui driven a'
la winders. Pull down the menu item "System", select "Administration"
then "Synaptic Package Manager". You will be prompted for your password
- you enter your eben password in the box. Then find your package in the
menus and click yes to all the prompts - will find and install all the
dependencies slicker than h***.

OR, "Applications", "Ubuntu Software Center", "Sound and Video" and look
for your package there. Password when you are asked is your eben password.

Command line is if you know the package. Command line is like Debian,
sudo apt-get [package]. Whenever you are prompted for a password it is
your eben password, the one you log in with. Not different for sudo,
same as your user password.

Unless "they" have changed it since Ubuntu 10.4, LOL.
--
Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: webcast

Eben King
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Eben King wrote:

>>> Tim Lord has been using this software -
>>> http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php
>>
>> OK, how does that help add me to the sudoers file so I can install sw?
>
> This link from Robin is to something you can use to record your desktop -
> just show the video on your desktop and record away. Probably solves your
> project.

OK, cool, thanks Robin.

So record the desktop (with ustream's preview) while the webcast is going
on, and thereby get a copy of whatever goes out, not subject to ustream's 10
GB limit, and probably without their ads on the image, correct?  Or is there
a better way?

--
-eben    [hidden email]    royalty.mine.nu:81
TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna