Quantcast

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Pre-configured Linux laptops

Andrew Gilbertson
All-

My wife's laptop seems to be experiencing senile dementia (so far,
it's forgotten that it has a down arrow key and speakers) and my
personal laptop is also a bit long in the tooth, so I'm looking at
replacements for one or both of them.  I'm not interested in giving
Microsoft any of my money, so I'm looking at vendors that offer
preconfigured Linux laptops.  There's a few around, and I've heard
good things about both ZaReason and System76; but I was wondering if
anyone on the list had experience with them or any other vendors
offering Linux machines?

Thanks!
_______________________________________________
slug mailing list
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Eben King
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Andrew Gilbertson wrote:

> I'm looking at replacements for one or both of them.  I'm not interested
> in giving Microsoft any of my money, so I'm looking at vendors that offer
> preconfigured Linux laptops.  There's a few around, and I've heard good
> things about both ZaReason and System76; but I was wondering if anyone on
> the list had experience with them or any other vendors offering Linux
> machines?

When I ordered my laptop (an HP/Compaq nc6400), they gave me the choice of
OS.  I chose FreeDOS, and immediately wiped it and installed Linux.  The
fingerprint reader doesn't work, but everything else (including the card
reader) does.

I've never heard of either ZaReason or System76.

-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al
_______________________________________________
slug mailing list
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Jeff
In reply to this post by Andrew Gilbertson
On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:29:42 AM Andrew Gilbertson wrote:

> All-
> My wife's laptop seems to be experiencing senile dementia (so far,
> it's forgotten that it has a down arrow key and speakers) and my
> personal laptop is also a bit long in the tooth, so I'm looking at
> replacements for one or both of them.  I'm not interested in giving
> Microsoft any of my money, so I'm looking at vendors that offer
> preconfigured Linux laptops.  There's a few around, and I've heard
> good things about both ZaReason and System76; but I was wondering if
> anyone on the list had experience with them or any other vendors
> offering Linux machines?
> Thanks!

Thinkpads used to be Linux certified. RedHat and SUSE were simple installs on
them, where everything worked first time with no tinkering. I don't know about
the Lenovo models though.
_______________________________________________
slug mailing list
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Andrew Gilbertson
I'm avoiding ThinkPads because of their BIOS-level shenanigans. If
you're not familiar with those stories: the newer ThinkPads will only
work with hardware that is in a BIOS-level whitelist, plus they've
been installing Windows malware via Windows Platform Binary Table.
They *probably* won't do anything to a Linux install...but they've
burned any goodwill towards them that I might have had.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:29:42 AM Andrew Gilbertson wrote:
>> All-
>> My wife's laptop seems to be experiencing senile dementia (so far,
>> it's forgotten that it has a down arrow key and speakers) and my
>> personal laptop is also a bit long in the tooth, so I'm looking at
>> replacements for one or both of them.  I'm not interested in giving
>> Microsoft any of my money, so I'm looking at vendors that offer
>> preconfigured Linux laptops.  There's a few around, and I've heard
>> good things about both ZaReason and System76; but I was wondering if
>> anyone on the list had experience with them or any other vendors
>> offering Linux machines?
>> Thanks!
> Thinkpads used to be Linux certified. RedHat and SUSE were simple installs on
> them, where everything worked first time with no tinkering. I don't know about
> the Lenovo models though.
> _______________________________________________
> slug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

The power of the Executive to cast a man in prison without formulating
any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgment
of his peers is in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of
all totalitarian government

--Winston Churchill
_______________________________________________
slug mailing list
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Art Eaton
In reply to this post by Jeff
Andy, your HP/Compac nc6400 (like mine) was issued with some form of
Linux on it as HP company laptops.  I actually inherited mine that way.
I heard there was a rumor that there was indeed a driver for the FP
scanner.  I never looked it up.  Nonetheless, that is something like a
9-10 year old machine at this point.  I still love it of course, but
what I am seeing from most of the linux laptops on the market out there,
they seem to often be built with moboards with known solder issues.

On 1/26/2016 11:58 AM, Jeff wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:29:42 AM Andrew Gilbertson wrote:
>> All-
>> My wife's laptop seems to be experiencing senile dementia (so far,
>> it's forgotten that it has a down arrow key and speakers) and my
>> personal laptop is also a bit long in the tooth, so I'm looking at
>> replacements for one or both of them.  I'm not interested in giving
>> Microsoft any of my money, so I'm looking at vendors that offer
>> preconfigured Linux laptops.  There's a few around, and I've heard
>> good things about both ZaReason and System76; but I was wondering if
>> anyone on the list had experience with them or any other vendors
>> offering Linux machines?
>> Thanks!
> Thinkpads used to be Linux certified. RedHat and SUSE were simple installs on
> the Lenovo models though.
> _______________________________________________
> slug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug
_______________________________________________
slug mailing list
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Robin Miller
>>>
My friend Ace Suares, who is "the" Linux consultant on the island of
Curacao (Dutch West Indies), totally loves System 76.
Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Timothy Jones
Fourteen months ago, I bought a fully-tricked-out System76 Kudu, which is a
17-inch, 1920x1080 screen attached to a FULL desktop replacement.
1TB SDD, and two 1TB HDDs all inside the case, plus 16G of RAM.   .

Gorgeous keyboard with backlight, HDMI and VGA outputs, with INTEL graphics
(so you don't have to be tied down to whatever NVidia and AMD feel like
supporting in their binary drivers)1.

It came with Ubuntu pre-loaded (including some drivers that system76 had a
hand in developing, and this beast hasn't given me ANY problems whatsoever.
I prefer my System76 Kudu even to my 15-inch Macbook Pro (2015, also with
16G of RAM).

tim

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >
> >
> >>>
> My friend Ace Suares, who is "the" Linux consultant on the island of
> Curacao (Dutch West Indies), totally loves System 76.
> --
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [SPAM] Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Art Eaton
That is really good to hear.  I figure I will give it another ten months
and hit you up for another review.  I love the idea of a
built-for-linux.  Does it come with a cool sticker?

On 1/26/2016 9:51 PM, Tim Bailey-Jones wrote:

> Fourteen months ago, I bought a fully-tricked-out System76 Kudu, which is a
> 17-inch, 1920x1080 screen attached to a FULL desktop replacement.
> 1TB SDD, and two 1TB HDDs all inside the case, plus 16G of RAM.   .
> Gorgeous keyboard with backlight, HDMI and VGA outputs, with INTEL graphics
> (so you don't have to be tied down to whatever NVidia and AMD feel like
> supporting in their binary drivers)1.
> It came with Ubuntu pre-loaded (including some drivers that system76 had a
> hand in developing, and this beast hasn't given me ANY problems whatsoever.
> I prefer my System76 Kudu even to my 15-inch Macbook Pro (2015, also with
> 16G of RAM).
> tim
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>> My friend Ace Suares, who is "the" Linux consultant on the island of
>> Curacao (Dutch West Indies), totally loves System 76.
>> --
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [SPAM] Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Samuel Elliot
Andy,

I've been using the Kudo from System76 for over a year, and haven't had an
issue with it yet.  They offer support for all their systems, and it comes
with Ubuntu pre-installed.  It's a beast of a system, and they provide
drivers for all the hardware.  I'm sure you've seen me with it on occasion
at some of our meetings.

Sam

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016, 10:17 PM Art Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is really good to hear.  I figure I will give it another ten months
> and hit you up for another review.  I love the idea of a
> built-for-linux.  Does it come with a cool sticker?
> On 1/26/2016 9:51 PM, Tim Bailey-Jones wrote:
> > Fourteen months ago, I bought a fully-tricked-out System76 Kudu, which
> is a
> > 17-inch, 1920x1080 screen attached to a FULL desktop replacement.
> > 1TB SDD, and two 1TB HDDs all inside the case, plus 16G of RAM.   .
> >
> > Gorgeous keyboard with backlight, HDMI and VGA outputs, with INTEL
> graphics
> > (so you don't have to be tied down to whatever NVidia and AMD feel like
> > supporting in their binary drivers)1.
> >
> > It came with Ubuntu pre-loaded (including some drivers that system76 had
> a
> > hand in developing, and this beast hasn't given me ANY problems
> whatsoever.
> > I prefer my System76 Kudu even to my 15-inch Macbook Pro (2015, also with
> > 16G of RAM).
> >
> >
> >
> > tim
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>>
> >> My friend Ace Suares, who is "the" Linux consultant on the island of
> >> Curacao (Dutch West Indies), totally loves System 76.
> >> --
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Art Eaton
Yes, but Andy's computer has genuine lead solder.......Yuuuum.

On 1/26/2016 11:08 PM, Samuel Elliot wrote:

> Andy,
> I've been using the Kudo from System76 for over a year, and haven't had an
> issue with it yet.  They offer support for all their systems, and it comes
> with Ubuntu pre-installed.  It's a beast of a system, and they provide
> drivers for all the hardware.  I'm sure you've seen me with it on occasion
> at some of our meetings.
> Sam
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016, 10:17 PM Art Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That is really good to hear.  I figure I will give it another ten months
>> and hit you up for another review.  I love the idea of a
>> built-for-linux.  Does it come with a cool sticker?
>> On 1/26/2016 9:51 PM, Tim Bailey-Jones wrote:
>>> Fourteen months ago, I bought a fully-tricked-out System76 Kudu, which
>> is a
>>> 17-inch, 1920x1080 screen attached to a FULL desktop replacement.
>>> 1TB SDD, and two 1TB HDDs all inside the case, plus 16G of RAM.   .
>>>
>>> Gorgeous keyboard with backlight, HDMI and VGA outputs, with INTEL
>> graphics
>>> (so you don't have to be tied down to whatever NVidia and AMD feel like
>>> supporting in their binary drivers)1.
>>>
>>> It came with Ubuntu pre-loaded (including some drivers that system76 had
>> a
>>> hand in developing, and this beast hasn't given me ANY problems
>> whatsoever.
>>> I prefer my System76 Kudu even to my 15-inch Macbook Pro (2015, also with
>>> 16G of RAM).
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> tim
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> My friend Ace Suares, who is "the" Linux consultant on the island of
>>>> Curacao (Dutch West Indies), totally loves System 76.
>>>> --
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [SPAM] Re: Pre-configured Linux laptops

Timothy Jones
In reply to this post by Art Eaton
It did come with a sticker, actually, but it rubbed off, because it wasn't
a full rectangle. The shape of the sticker was ONLY the shape of the
letters - i.e. no actual sticker BETWEEN the letters.

Anyway, I got some others to put on it from FossetCon Orlando 2015.
Here's the product page for the Kudu -- no regrets, all Linux, officially
supported!

t

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Art Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is really good to hear.  I figure I will give it another ten months
> and hit you up for another review.  I love the idea of a built-for-linux.
> Does it come with a cool sticker?
> On 1/26/2016 9:51 PM, Tim Bailey-Jones wrote:
>> Fourteen months ago, I bought a fully-tricked-out System76 Kudu, which is
>> a
>> 17-inch, 1920x1080 screen attached to a FULL desktop replacement.
>> 1TB SDD, and two 1TB HDDs all inside the case, plus 16G of RAM.   .
>> Gorgeous keyboard with backlight, HDMI and VGA outputs, with INTEL
>> graphics
>> (so you don't have to be tied down to whatever NVidia and AMD feel like
>> supporting in their binary drivers)1.
>> It came with Ubuntu pre-loaded (including some drivers that system76 had a
>> hand in developing, and this beast hasn't given me ANY problems
>> whatsoever.
>> I prefer my System76 Kudu even to my 15-inch Macbook Pro (2015, also with
>> 16G of RAM).
>> tim
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> My friend Ace Suares, who is "the" Linux consultant on the island of
>>> Curacao (Dutch West Indies), totally loves System 76.
>>> --