On meetings, distances, census, important words, and hacking sessions

On meetings, distances, census, important words, and hacking sessions

dylan
Administrator
I figured I should chime in on the policy for slug meetings.

1) Sanctioned meetings are announced weekly (mostly) by an automated process. Sanctioned meetings include both regular meetings (of which there are two) and irregular meetings (the hacking sessions, sometimes other events such as the coffee meeting).

2) No regular meeting will be sanctioned if it would draw away from an existing meeting.
For Pinellas, this means there is only PUP in the south of the county. If there are enough people in north county to have a meeting, I would probably assent to it.

As for Tampa, this is the domain of Bill Davison. Any sanctioned meeting in Hillsborough county would require his approval.

Those that have just found us are probably not away that we used to have something like six meetings. There was one in Tampa, Brandon, New Port Richey, Dunedin, Sarasota/Bradenton, and St. Petersburg. This was a fairly big mess and we should avoid ever repeating this situation.

Bill and I have both discussed that the Tampa meeting is currently very close to Pinellas, but this is not avoidable at the time due to the significant quality of the meeting location provided by Cliff of HDR.

3) distance
It should be noted that some people travel a great distance to attend the existing meetings. "Straconis" lives between Tampa and Orlando and drives 2 hours to attend the Tampa meeting.

Pete Theisen, an older gentleman[1] drives a similar distance from Sarasota on his motorcycle (or is a scooter?) to attend both the Pinellas and Tampa meetings.

4) census
In the next month I would like to conduct an anonymous census, detailing where people live, work, and where they would be willing to travel to. We can then plot this against available meeting spaces (which are never many!) and in the future make informed decisions on meeting venues. Note, there is no guarantee that anything would change, as our options for locations are what they are.

5) important words
If you would like to have an "unofficial" meeting, or even just a few guys in a coffee shop, you may announce it on the general list (this one) so long as you make it clear that it is unofficial. The current PUP/Pinellas meeting was started in this way, way back when.

Even an unofficial meeting should not conflict with the temporal space of another meeting (e.g. no meetings on the same night as the tampa or pinellas meetings).

6) hacking sessions
Now, if you'd like an irregular meeting to be a bit closer to you, consider recommending a coffee shop or similar for a hacking session! The next one is in May, and will be in Tampa (despite what the calendar says. We just don't have a place in mind yet).

I hope this addresses any questions that may be lingering.

-- Dylan Hardison, SLUG President.

Re: On meetings, distances, census, important words, and hacking sessions

Pete Theisen
dylan wrote:

> Pete Theisen, an older gentleman[1]

The footnote on this is that I am nearly dead, but determined to become
a Linux head before I actually am dead.

> drives a similar distance from Sarasota on his motorcycle (or is a scooter?)

It is a motorcycle, although a very small one. You can tell by the
profile - if it looks like a boy's bike it is a motorcycle, if it looks
like a girl's bike it is a scooter. This distinction harks back to the
days when women and girls wore dresses. Good luck seeing that any more.

>to attend both the Pinellas and Tampa meetings.

My attendance will be sporadic this year due to conflicts with the Linux
classes.
--
Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 04:18, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> dylan wrote:
>
>> Pete Theisen, an older gentleman[1]

No, the footnote was on "gentleman" based on your track record with
the female waitstaff at a number of establishments.
Your dedication to the meetings was what I wished to highlight, even
if this year you'll have to miss most of them.

Dylan William Hardison wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 04:18, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> dylan wrote:
>>
>>> Pete Theisen, an older gentleman[1]
>
> No, the footnote was on "gentleman" based on your track record with
> the female waitstaff at a number of establishments.

Hi Dylan,

Oh, yeah - that, sigh . . .

My pick up line; about all her kids getting their own social security
check until they are 18 if they stay in school if she marries me and
that's even if we don't live together; isn't working.

Part of the problem is all the words have been redefined from what the
nuns in school said they meant. Coming up, if a guy said "hi" to a girl
it meant "hi". Nowadays it depends on what the meaning of is is.
--
Regards,

Pete
http://pete-theisen.com/