NAS choice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NAS choice

Eben King
I picked up a 4 TB NAS (HP "MyCloud") a while back, but the fact that it's
only one drive makes me not trust it.  Also, I don't really need 4 TB of
space.  Is there any reason I should choose or avoid any particular RAID-1
NAS (2 x 1 TB or 2 x 2 TB) that speaks NFS and SSH over 1G ethernet, or
should I just get whatever looks good?

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al
_______________________________________________
slug mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NAS choice

Gene Barlow
Your point is spot on: choose a mirrored backup option.  

I always go for the Buffalo products as they tend to be cheap and last forever. I've had two Buffalo NAS systems over 8 years, so I've been pleased. Only had 1 hdd go out in that time as well, so to your point, the mirrored option is the right way to go.

I think any cheap or expensive option will meet your requirements.

If you use a cheaper option just know that they tend to be difficult to restore data from (ie: Buffalo) but as long as you're comfortable in Linux you'll be fine with restoring your data. I've never actually seen the "restore software" that comes with Buffalo drives actually work so i just drop the good drive in an external usb hdd case, plug it in, run a few commands for accessing the FS used in the backup drive and go. The FS varies though with Buffalo. In my case, I've tended to pickup the NAS that use XFS.

As long as they support the protocol you want to use, go for it. Just don't ever make it publicly accessible (via https/browser) as they all like to advertise. You're just asking to let someone else steal your data.

Sent from my C64

> On Dec 26, 2015, at 23:02, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I picked up a 4 TB NAS (HP "MyCloud") a while back, but the fact that it's only one drive makes me not trust it.  Also, I don't really need 4 TB of space.  Is there any reason I should choose or avoid any particular RAID-1 NAS (2 x 1 TB or 2 x 2 TB) that speaks NFS and SSH over 1G ethernet, or should I just get whatever looks good?
>
> --
> -eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
> LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
> much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
> remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al
> _______________________________________________
> slug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug
_______________________________________________
slug mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug