LibreOffice Calc

Eben King
Back in Multiplan (the precursor to Excel) for the Mac you could paste a cut
column between two existing colums (column dragging wasn't implemented yet).
In LibreOffice Calc, pressing the Ctrl key while dragging a column changes
the cursor to have a "+", and the dragged column is copied to the
destination rather than moved.  If you press Ctrl-Shift, the cursor changes
to the arrow you see on Windows soft links ^Wshortcuts ^Waliases, but it
does the same thing and then crashes.  What is it supposed to do, and is
there a way to do what Multiplan could 30 years ago?

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Re: LibreOffice Calc

Art Eaton
Right click, insert before/after.
Just tried this in 14.04 U, and the cut/paste drag worked fine.
Are there formulas or other elements like that in the columns you are
crashing on?

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:

> Right click, insert before/after.

Thanks.  What version LO is that?  Right-clicking on neither the column
header nor the cells produces those entries.  There's an "insert columns
left", but that inserts blank column(s), not the cut data.

Version: 4.2.8.2

> On 12/13/2015 11:26 AM, Eben King wrote:
>> In LibreOffice Calc, pressing the Ctrl key while dragging a column
>> changes the cursor to have a "+", and the dragged column is copied to the
>> destination rather than moved.  If you press Ctrl-Shift, the cursor changes
>> to the arrow you see on Windows soft links ^Wshortcuts ^Waliases, but it
>> does the same thing and then crashes.

> Just tried this in 14.04 U, and the cut/paste drag worked fine.
> Are there formulas or other elements like that in the columns you are
> crashing on?

No, plain text.  I didn't cut or copy, just dragged and pressed the keys.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: LibreOffice Calc

Art Eaton
More comprehensive:

 1.

    Mark source cells to move or click column header to mark whole column.

 2.

    ALT+click_and_hold.

 3.

    Move to target location

On 12/13/2015 11:44 AM, Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>
>> Right click, insert before/after.
>
> Thanks.  What version LO is that?  Right-clicking on neither the
> column header nor the cells produces those entries.  There's an
> "insert columns left", but that inserts blank column(s), not the cut
> data.
>
> Version: 4.2.8.2
>
>> On 12/13/2015 11:26 AM, Eben King wrote:
>>> In LibreOffice Calc, pressing the Ctrl key while dragging a column
>>> changes the cursor to have a "+", and the dragged column is copied
>>> to the destination rather than moved.  If you press Ctrl-Shift, the
>>> cursor changes to the arrow you see on Windows soft links
>>> ^Wshortcuts ^Waliases, but it does the same thing and then crashes.
>
>> Just tried this in 14.04 U, and the cut/paste drag worked fine.
>> Are there formulas or other elements like that in the columns you are
>> crashing on?
>
> No, plain text.  I didn't cut or copy, just dragged and pressed the keys.

Re: LibreOffice Calc

Art Eaton
That is 4.4.5.2.  Now upgrading to 4.4.6....
More comprehensive:

1.

    Mark source cells to move or click column header to mark whole column.

2.

    ALT+click_and_hold.

3.

    Move to target location

On 12/13/2015 11:44 AM, Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>
>> Right click, insert before/after.
>
> Thanks.  What version LO is that?  Right-clicking on neither the
> column header nor the cells produces those entries.  There's an
> "insert columns left", but that inserts blank column(s), not the cut
> data.
>
> Version: 4.2.8.2
>
>> On 12/13/2015 11:26 AM, Eben King wrote:
>>> In LibreOffice Calc, pressing the Ctrl key while dragging a column
>>> changes the cursor to have a "+", and the dragged column is copied
>>> to the destination rather than moved.  If you press Ctrl-Shift, the
>>> cursor changes to the arrow you see on Windows soft links
>>> ^Wshortcuts ^Waliases, but it does the same thing and then crashes.
>
>> Just tried this in 14.04 U, and the cut/paste drag worked fine.
>> Are there formulas or other elements like that in the columns you are
>> crashing on?
>
> No, plain text.  I didn't cut or copy, just dragged and pressed the keys.

Re: LibreOffice Calc

Art Eaton
You are running a pretty old version, and, I might say, one that I
recall to be particularly issue-prone.

On 12/13/2015 11:44 AM, Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>
>> Right click, insert before/after.
>
> Thanks.  What version LO is that?  Right-clicking on neither the
> column header nor the cells produces those entries.  There's an
> "insert columns left", but that inserts blank column(s), not the cut
> data.
>
> Version: 4.2.8.2
>
>> On 12/13/2015 11:26 AM, Eben King wrote:
>>> In LibreOffice Calc, pressing the Ctrl key while dragging a column
>>> changes the cursor to have a "+", and the dragged column is copied
>>> to the destination rather than moved.  If you press Ctrl-Shift, the
>>> cursor changes to the arrow you see on Windows soft links
>>> ^Wshortcuts ^Waliases, but it does the same thing and then crashes.
>
>> Just tried this in 14.04 U, and the cut/paste drag worked fine.
>> Are there formulas or other elements like that in the columns you are
>> crashing on?
>
> No, plain text.  I didn't cut or copy, just dragged and pressed the keys.

Re: LibreOffice Calc

Eben King
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:

> On 12/13/2015 11:44 AM, Eben King wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>>
>>> Right click, insert before/after.
>>
>> Thanks.  What version LO is that?  Right-clicking on neither the column
>> header nor the cells produces those entries.  There's an "insert columns
>> left", but that inserts blank column(s), not the cut data.
>>
>> Version: 4.2.8.2

> You are running a pretty old version, and, I might say, one that I recall to
> be particularly issue-prone.

Man.  Synaptic offered me to upgrade LO, so I took it.  Same version, same
crash.  What version do you have?

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: LibreOffice Calc

Eben King
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:

> That is 4.4.5.2.  Now upgrading to 4.4.6....

> More comprehensive:
>
> 1.
>
>   Mark source cells to move or click column header to mark whole column.
>
> 2.
>
>   ALT+click_and_hold.

Alt+Button1 moves the window in xfce.  It's probably in Menu -> Settings ->
Settings Manager somewhere.  This is where the Windows key might come in
handy -- as an extra modifier.  Hm, my "mouse" has 4 buttons, maybe I can
use the 4th button for stuff like that.

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>
>> That is 4.4.5.2.  Now upgrading to 4.4.6....
>

>> More comprehensive:
>>
>> 1.
>>
>>   Mark source cells to move or click column header to mark whole column.
>>
>> 2.
>>
>>   ALT+click_and_hold.
>
> Alt+Button1 moves the window in xfce.  It's probably in Menu -> Settings ->
> Settings Manager somewhere.

Got it, "Window Manager Tweaks".  And no you can't tell it "move window with
button4", you can only tell it which of a zillion modifier keys to use.  I
set it to "none", as I rarely use that feature.

>> 3.
>>
>>   Move to target location

Thanks, works great!

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: LibreOffice Calc

Art Eaton
Yeah, there are issues with xfce and the tools in many applications.  I
find there are also a great many application focus issues as well.  This
particular issue isn't one that unity has at least.

On 12/13/2015 12:37 PM, Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Eben King wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Art Eaton wrote:
>>
>>> That is 4.4.5.2.  Now upgrading to 4.4.6....
>>

>>> More comprehensive:
>>>
>>> 1.
>>>
>>>   Mark source cells to move or click column header to mark whole
>>> column.
>>>
>>> 2.
>>>
>>>   ALT+click_and_hold.
>>
>> Alt+Button1 moves the window in xfce.  It's probably in Menu ->
>> Settings -> Settings Manager somewhere.
>
> Got it, "Window Manager Tweaks".  And no you can't tell it "move
> window with button4", you can only tell it which of a zillion modifier
> keys to use.  I set it to "none", as I rarely use that feature.
>
>>> 3.
>>>
>>>   Move to target location
>
> Thanks, works great!

Re: LibreOffice Calc

Art Eaton
Heh, might wanna check your sources.list for Synaptic.  Instead of an
upgrade package manager, I tend to think of it (and the ubuntu software
center) as a "backport emulator" system.
   Look at PDFSam...The version they put out is something like 6 years
old.  Suuuuuck.