Lack of good book stores

12

Lack of good book stores

Robert Snyder
I hate to go off on a rant but.....

Why is it that book stores no longer carry technical books.  All I want is
the instant gratification of being able to go down to the store to buy the
book I want while also having the pleasure of that book being made of dead
trees.   Yes I could buy my BASH book as an ebook but why should I as I
like spending money on something I can hold and dont need electricity to
read.

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of locally
Bash Cookbookby Carl
Albing<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Carl+Albing>
, JP Vossen<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=JP+Vossen>
, Cameron Newham<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Cameron+Newham>

   - Paperback
   - ISBN: 0596526784

I would appreciate it thanks.

Re: Lack of good book stores

Gene Barlow
I'll join in the rant...

Not only do I feel as you do about technical books/bookstores, but I
feel the same way about the absence any good computer stores (E.g.:
MicroCenter, et al) in this area.  At this point, I would settle for a
CompUSA (or TigerDirect).  I know we have them in Clearwater, etc, but I
prefer not driving an hour and a half to get there.

If anyone knows of a good one down south (Sarasota/Bradenton), that
would be great.  Computer Renaissance doesn't count :)

On 3/16/2013 8:22 AM, Robert Snyder wrote:

> I hate to go off on a rant but.....
>
> Why is it that book stores no longer carry technical books.  All I want is
> the instant gratification of being able to go down to the store to buy the
> book I want while also having the pleasure of that book being made of dead
> trees.   Yes I could buy my BASH book as an ebook but why should I as I
> like spending money on something I can hold and dont need electricity to
> read.
>
> If anyone knows where I can get a copy of locally
> Bash Cookbookby Carl
> Albing<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Carl+Albing>
> , JP Vossen<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=JP+Vossen>
> , Cameron Newham<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Cameron+Newham>
>
>     - Paperback
>     - ISBN: 0596526784
>

> I would appreciate it thanks.

Re: Lack of good book stores

Robin Miller
On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Gene Barlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll join in the rant...
>
> Not only do I feel as you do about technical books/bookstores, but I feel
> the same way about the absence any good computer stores (E.g.: MicroCenter,
> et al) in this area.  At this point, I would settle for a CompUSA (or
> TigerDirect).  I know we have them in Clearwater, etc, but I prefer not
> driving an hour and a half to get there.

Also professional-level camera/video stores. There's one in Tampa and
that's about it around here.

It's a chicken and the pot thing: We buy from Amazon, where books are 30% -
50% cheaper than at a local store. We buy computers and components & cables
from NewEgg and Monoprice and other online retailers, and we (or at least
I) get our photo & video equipment and supplies from B&H and Adorama.

And then we wonder why there are no local pots with chickens in them.

Yes, there's a Tiger store in Clearwater and I've bought things there. But
I mostly treat Tiger as an online merchant. Yes, I wish they'd open a
Bradenton or Sarasota store. Right now about all we have is BestBuy, which
is like a 7-11: high prices and crappy selection, but they're close by and
convenient.

Actually, Wal~Mart is the best and lowest-priced physical local place to
buy most cables, esp. since BestBuy seems to thing all wires and
connections are made out of unobtanium and price them accordingly.

Hmmm...... I may want to expand this into a column.

This is what I write these days, and I'm totally open to topic suggestions:
 http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/cheap-computing/

--
Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Lack of good book stores

Robert Snyder
I always use to be able to get "tech books" when Borders was around.  I had
a choice Barnes and Noble and Borders carried basically the same stuff and
I went to who ever I had discount reward or coupon with at the time. Yes I
have Amazon prime but I have never bought a book from them.   I miss the
Main Street Book Store in downtown SRQ, as I could a always find a neat
book to read on any number of subjects with out having to spend a whole lot
of money.   I use to walk out of that store with 5 different books  for
around 30 dollars.

I would agree with Robin often we dont look at local till it is too late.
I would love to have a compusa aka tiger direct store down here.  I been to
the one in Tampa and I found them to be a happy middle ground.  Close to
online prices but in a store so I did not have to pay shipping.  Right now
I do with stuff as I say well next time I am in tampa I stop off there.  I
am just not a patient person .  I want things when I want them.  Yes that
is childish, but I hate having to sh*tcan a good idea because I dont have
access to the stuff I need when I need it.     Makes me feel very back
isolated that Tampa does not have a Fry's or an Microcenter  but oh well.

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Gene Barlow <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I'll join in the rant...
> >
> > Not only do I feel as you do about technical books/bookstores, but I feel
> > the same way about the absence any good computer stores (E.g.:
> MicroCenter,
> > et al) in this area.  At this point, I would settle for a CompUSA (or
> > TigerDirect).  I know we have them in Clearwater, etc, but I prefer not
> > driving an hour and a half to get there.
>

> Also professional-level camera/video stores. There's one in Tampa and
> that's about it around here.
>
> It's a chicken and the pot thing: We buy from Amazon, where books are 30% -
> 50% cheaper than at a local store. We buy computers and components & cables
> from NewEgg and Monoprice and other online retailers, and we (or at least
> I) get our photo & video equipment and supplies from B&H and Adorama.
>
> And then we wonder why there are no local pots with chickens in them.
>
> Yes, there's a Tiger store in Clearwater and I've bought things there. But
> I mostly treat Tiger as an online merchant. Yes, I wish they'd open a
> Bradenton or Sarasota store. Right now about all we have is BestBuy, which
> is like a 7-11: high prices and crappy selection, but they're close by and
> convenient.
>
> Actually, Wal~Mart is the best and lowest-priced physical local place to
> buy most cables, esp. since BestBuy seems to thing all wires and
> connections are made out of unobtanium and price them accordingly.
>
> Hmmm...... I may want to expand this into a column.
>
> This is what I write these days, and I'm totally open to topic suggestions:
>  http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/cheap-computing/
>
> --
> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
> Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Lack of good book stores

Dave Lowe
On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> buy most cables, esp. since BestBuy seems to thing all wires and
> connections are made out of unobtanium and price them accordingly.

No kidding! I tried to find 100' of Cat5e (with connectors) and Best
Buy had 50' for $36.99! I found the 100' I wanted on Amazon for a
grand total of $12.04 including express shipping. Unobtanium indeed!

--
</dave>
Dave Lowe  :: KD4INR  ::  <[hidden email]>

Re: Lack of good book stores

David Macfarlane
I haven't priced unobtanium but i did just get some us cables on monoprice.com for about a buck a piece. I was very impressed with their prices.

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM, David IV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't priced unobtanium but i did just get some us cables on
> monoprice.com for about a buck a piece. I was very impressed with their
> prices.

Yes. Matt Moen is putting together a joint order for stuff he needs and
stuff I need.

100' of Cat5e @ Monoprice is about a buck cheaper than Dave paid at Amazon.
The thing is, mono has just about everything in stock except nucleosis.
This is the same as B&H photo; if it's a semi-pro (prosumer) or pro- level
video or photo whatsis, they have it. Maybe at the lowest price, maybe only
close to it. But there's darn little you might need that they don't have.

--
Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Lack of good book stores

joebrandt
 I priced a projector mount at BestBuy $230, I bought one online $23 including shipping.
That is 1/10th the price!!  Why would anyone buy at brick and mortar (convenience aside)??

Re: Lack of good book stores

Robin Miller
On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I priced a projector mount at BestBuy $230, I bought one online $23
> including shipping.
> That is 1/10th the price!!  Why would anyone buy at brick and mortar
> (convenience aside)??

Convenience. Or because it's a piece of clothing and you want to try it on
before buying.

Or because it's an instance where the local store beats online prices,
which happens now and then.

--
Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Lack of good book stores

Robert Snyder
This is what is wrong with traditional brick and motar.  Often they will
mark up the cheap items for connivence reasons and mark way down the bigger
items do to the same fact. I got an amazing deal on a Samsung TV at BestBuy
now they are annoyed with me as they did not make there usual upsell profit
selling me 80 dollar HDMI cables.   I have some nice heavy duty hdmi cables
I bought from Home Depot for 7 dollars a piece during christmas which I did
not feel was a bad deal.

Though I found custom tailored suits and shirts to be half the price . Then
local tailors.     My problem is I want it now... and until they can simply
beam it to me via startrek transport pads  I will want to buy local but
online pricing makes it hard.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Robin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >  I priced a projector mount at BestBuy $230, I bought one online $23
> > including shipping.
> > That is 1/10th the price!!  Why would anyone buy at brick and mortar
> > (convenience aside)??
>

> Convenience. Or because it's a piece of clothing and you want to try it on
> before buying.
>
> Or because it's an instance where the local store beats online prices,
> which happens now and then.
>
> --
> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
> Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Lack of good book stores

Eben King
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Robin Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  I priced a projector mount at BestBuy $230, I bought one online $23
>> including shipping.
>> That is 1/10th the price!!  Why would anyone buy at brick and mortar
>> (convenience aside)??
>
> Convenience. Or because it's a piece of clothing and you want to try it on
> before buying.
>
> Or because it's an instance where the local store beats online prices,
> which happens now and then.

Or because the customer has mental blinders on, and only thinks about
physical stores when considering where to buy something.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    royalty.mine.nu:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Re: Lack of good book stores

Brandon Johnson
Or because you're Veruca Salt. "I want it NOW!"

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Robin Miller wrote:
>
>  On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>   I priced a projector mount at BestBuy $230, I bought one online $23
>>> including shipping.
>>> That is 1/10th the price!!  Why would anyone buy at brick and mortar
>>> (convenience aside)??
>>>

>> Convenience. Or because it's a piece of clothing and you want to try it on
>> before buying.
>>
>> Or because it's an instance where the local store beats online prices,
>> which happens now and then.
>>

> Or because the customer has mental blinders on, and only thinks about
> physical stores when considering where to buy something.
>
> --
> -eben    [hidden email]    royalty.mine.nu:81
> LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
> much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
> remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al

Re: Lack of good book stores

Robin Miller
On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or because the customer has mental blinders on, and only thinks about
> physical stores when considering where to buy something.

I don't think there are many of those left. What *are* left are members of
a large demographic called "women," many of whom enjoy shopping as a hobby.

Go to a mall and look at the bored guys sitting on benches. For every
bored, male bench-sitter there's a woman happily thumbing through stacks or
racks of brassieres or "cute blouses" or whatever.

For women who enjoy shopping as a sport/hobby, online shopping is like
watching football on TV: it saves time and money, but just isn't the same
as being at them game in person.

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Bradenton, Florida, USA

Re: Lack of good book stores

Jody Baudoin
I would try lumber yards for bulk spools of computer cabling (Lows).

Jody

On 3/16/2013 15:43, Dave Lowe wrote:
> No kidding! I tried to find 100' of Cat5e (with connectors) and Best
> Buy had 50' for $36.99! I found the 100' I wanted on Amazon for a
> grand total of $12.04 including express shipping. Unobtanium indeed!
> -- </dave> Dave Lowe :: KD4INR :: <[hidden email]> Plant City, FL
> (USA) :: http://davedorm.com An Equal Opportunity Offender™

Re: Lack of good book stores

Jody Baudoin
(bottom post reply)
On 3/17/2013 13:20, Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Robin Miller wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>  I priced a projector mount at BestBuy $230, I bought one online $23
>>> including shipping.
>>> That is 1/10th the price!!  Why would anyone buy at brick and mortar
>>> (convenience aside)??
>>
>> Convenience. Or because it's a piece of clothing and you want to try
>> it on
>> before buying.
>>
>> Or because it's an instance where the local store beats online prices,
>> which happens now and then.
>
> Or because the customer has mental blinders on, and only thinks about
> physical stores when considering where to buy something.

Or because we do not know what we want, and need a salesman for guidance.

Re: Lack of good book stores

Floyd Roberts
Rant away, of course there are many Print on demand places because
inventorying paper books is a loosing bet - Print on demand is expensive
but they will hand you dead trees. Of course this does not take into
account the selection of materials available is then controlled by a small
handful of mass marketers with agendas POSSIBLY different from yours
Luck
Floyd - Voice of the man - Roberts

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Robert Snyder <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I hate to go off on a rant but.....
>
> Why is it that book stores no longer carry technical books.  All I want is
> the instant gratification of being able to go down to the store to buy the
> book I want while also having the pleasure of that book being made of dead
> trees.   Yes I could buy my BASH book as an ebook but why should I as I
> like spending money on something I can hold and dont need electricity to
> read.
>
> If anyone knows where I can get a copy of locally
> Bash Cookbookby Carl
> Albing<
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Carl+Albing>
> , JP Vossen<
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=JP+Vossen>
> , Cameron Newham<
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Cameron+Newham
> >

>    - Paperback
>    - ISBN: 0596526784
>

> I would appreciate it thanks.

Re: [SPAM] Re: Lack of good book stores

Art Eaton
Just go to Haslam's for chrissake.  Whatever the book is, they have it, it
is used, it is cheap, and you will find a dozen others you absolutely must
have at the same time...THEN look at the on-line documentation which is the
only place you will ever get (ahem) up-to-date or even useful instruction.
Books have not been a great place to start since the late 80's.
> Rant away, of course there are many Print on demand places because
> inventorying paper books is a loosing bet - Print on demand is expensive
> but they will hand you dead trees. Of course this does not take into
> account the selection of materials available is then controlled by a small
> handful of mass marketers with agendas POSSIBLY different from yours
> Luck
> Floyd - Voice of the man - Roberts
>

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Robert Snyder
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I hate to go off on a rant but.....
>>
>> Why is it that book stores no longer carry technical books.  All I want
>> is
>> the instant gratification of being able to go down to the store to buy
>> the
>> book I want while also having the pleasure of that book being made of
>> dead
>> trees.   Yes I could buy my BASH book as an ebook but why should I as I
>> like spending money on something I can hold and dont need electricity to
>> read.
>>
>> If anyone knows where I can get a copy of locally
>> Bash Cookbookby Carl
>> Albing<
>> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Carl+Albing>
>> , JP Vossen<
>> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=JP+Vossen>
>> , Cameron Newham<
>> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Cameron+Newham
>> >

>>    - Paperback
>>    - ISBN: 0596526784
>>

>> I would appreciate it thanks.

Pentium 4 processor dell

Jody Baudoin
Hi Linux group,

Is a Pentium 4 enough processing power to run a Linux home server
without making me unhappy?

How about for a small Linux development project?

Thanks,
Jody

Re: Pentium 4 processor dell

Chance Walton
What kind of server will you be running?  All my servers run on embedded devices.  So a P4 sounds like overkill.  But I am just running household stuff less than 10 users.

Thank you,

Chance Walton
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Re: Pentium 4 processor dell

Jody Baudoin
Plans are to use this for a file server (backups using file-copy from 3
or 4 computers, that is a redundant copy of important documents &
photographs primarily).  And also to develop small projects.

Thanks for the reply - that is might be overkill is promising.

Jody

On 3/20/2013 08:14, Chance Walton wrote:

> What kind of server will you be running?  All my servers run on embedded devices.  So a P4 sounds like overkill.  But I am just running household stuff less than 10 users.
>
> Thank you,
>

> Chance Walton
>  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

12