Hardware question

Pete Theisen
Hi Sluggers,

I know some of you can answer this right off the top of your heads!

I am trying to set up a an APC Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009 Dell Studio
Core 2 Duo E7500 (3MB L2, 2.93GHz, 1066FSB), Which shipped with Vista
and now runs Linux Mint 17.1.

The hard drive is 750 GB, if that matters . . .

The Backup unit unit drops the power every few minutes and the computer
re-boots. Without the battery backup the computer works fine. The backup
has a supposedly new battery,

I wonder if the "new" battery has an expired shelf life, there are no
markings on the battery that I can see. Or maybe a 350 unit is too small
for this computer, although the backup unit is bigger than some
computers are nowadays, and the battery is very heavy . . .

Thanks for any help.
--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Bryan Lee
Wow.   That sounds like there's a problem with the backup itself.

Do you have a multi-tester, Pete?   Check the voltage coming from your wall
outlet (I'm starting at the beginning, folks) and check the voltage the
battery is putting out when the leads are disconnected from it.

Try plugging a basic incandesent light into the UPS.  See if it goes out
when the computer reboots.  Try to use the multi-tester to register the
voltage the UPS is putting out when the computer reboots.
What is the exact time between reboots?

Thus Pete Theisen hast written on Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 02:03:28PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:

> Hi Sluggers,
>
> I know some of you can answer this right off the top of your heads!
>
> I am trying to set up a an APC Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009 Dell Studio
> Core 2 Duo E7500 (3MB L2, 2.93GHz, 1066FSB), Which shipped with
> Vista and now runs Linux Mint 17.1.
>
> The hard drive is 750 GB, if that matters . . .
>
> The Backup unit unit drops the power every few minutes and the
> computer re-boots. Without the battery backup the computer works
> fine. The backup has a supposedly new battery,
>
> I wonder if the "new" battery has an expired shelf life, there are
> no markings on the battery that I can see. Or maybe a 350 unit is
> too small for this computer, although the backup unit is bigger than
> some computers are nowadays, and the battery is very heavy . . .
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Pete
> https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Art Eaton
A 350 watt inverter has a peak power passthrough of 350 watts, on battery or not.  Your backup is a combination of a battery, a battery charger, and an inverter.  Some have an automatic buss transfer.  Most just run the inverter all the time.
  You need at least a 550 watt for ps startup for your average desktop full of old school hardware.  A 350 is a very tiny unit, even if it packs a lot of amp hours.

On December 1, 2015, at 14:31, Bryan Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wow.   That sounds like there's a problem with the backup itself.

Do you have a multi-tester, Pete?   Check the voltage coming from your wall
outlet (I'm starting at the beginning, folks) and check the voltage the
battery is putting out when the leads are disconnected from it.

Try plugging a basic incandesent light into the UPS.  See if it goes out
when the computer reboots.  Try to use the multi-tester to register the
voltage the UPS is putting out when the computer reboots.
What is the exact time between reboots?

Thus Pete Theisen hast written on Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 02:03:28PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:

> Hi Sluggers,
>
> I know some of you can answer this right off the top of your heads!
>
> I am trying to set up a an APC Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009 Dell Studio
> Core 2 Duo E7500 (3MB L2, 2.93GHz, 1066FSB), Which shipped with
> Vista and now runs Linux Mint 17.1.
>
> The hard drive is 750 GB, if that matters . . .
>
> The Backup unit unit drops the power every few minutes and the
> computer re-boots. Without the battery backup the computer works
> fine. The backup has a supposedly new battery,
>
> I wonder if the "new" battery has an expired shelf life, there are
> no markings on the battery that I can see. Or maybe a 350 unit is
> too small for this computer, although the backup unit is bigger than
> some computers are nowadays, and the battery is very heavy . . .
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Pete
> https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Eben King
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, Bryan Lee wrote:

> Thus Pete Theisen hast written on Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 02:03:28PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
>> Hi Sluggers,
>>
>> I am trying to set up a an APC Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009 Dell Studio
>> Core 2 Duo E7500 (3MB L2, 2.93GHz, 1066FSB), Which shipped with
>>
>> The Backup unit unit drops the power every few minutes and the
>> computer re-boots. Without the battery backup the computer works
>> fine. The backup has a supposedly new battery,
>>
>> I wonder if the "new" battery has an expired shelf life, there are
>> no markings on the battery that I can see. Or maybe a 350 unit is
>> too small for this computer, although the backup unit is bigger than
>> some computers are nowadays, and the battery is very heavy . . .

> Wow.   That sounds like there's a problem with the backup itself.
>
> Do you have a multi-tester, Pete?   Check the voltage coming from your wall
> outlet (I'm starting at the beginning, folks) and check the voltage the
> battery is putting out when the leads are disconnected from it.
>
> Try plugging a basic incandesent light into the UPS.  See if it goes out
> when the computer reboots.  Try to use the multi-tester to register the
> voltage the UPS is putting out when the computer reboots.
> What is the exact time between reboots?

Yeah.  If you have access to an oscilloscope, check how smooth the output
waveform is.  If it's stepped or noisy, that may be the cause of the
crashes.  Also, plug the computer into the wall (no UPS) and measure its
power draw.  If it's greater than 350 VA (or whatever the UPS supplies),
then no matter how big the battery is, the inverter in the UPS can't hack
it.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

Re: Hardware question

Pete Theisen
Hi Bryan,

The meter showed 12.27 v The house voltage is 110. I suppose the rich
power companies could line their pockets a bit by letting it drop to 105
sometimes, or maybe even less. I have heard of 90, but whenever I
measure it it is 110 just like it is today.

There is TWJ99 stamped on the battery cover. If that is a date it means
the thing was made in January of 99. How long is the Shelf life?

There us a brand name on the side "Power Patrol" and SLA 1075 (perhaps a
model identification) and 12v7.5AH. There is ALL5H336 stamped on one end.

I didn't see all that before because I am old and it is black on black.

Thanks for the attention :-)

On 12/01/2015 02:31 PM, Bryan Lee wrote:

> Wow.   That sounds like there's a problem with the backup itself.
>
> Do you have a multi-tester, Pete?   Check the voltage coming from your wall
> outlet (I'm starting at the beginning, folks) and check the voltage the
> battery is putting out when the leads are disconnected from it.
>
> Try plugging a basic incandesent light into the UPS.  See if it goes out
> when the computer reboots.  Try to use the multi-tester to register the
> voltage the UPS is putting out when the computer reboots.
> What is the exact time between reboots?
>

> Thus Pete Theisen hast written on Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 02:03:28PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
>> Hi Sluggers,
>>
>> I know some of you can answer this right off the top of your heads!
>>
>> I am trying to set up a an APC Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009 Dell Studio
>> Core 2 Duo E7500 (3MB L2, 2.93GHz, 1066FSB), Which shipped with
>> Vista and now runs Linux Mint 17.1.
>>
>> The hard drive is 750 GB, if that matters . . .
>>
>> The Backup unit unit drops the power every few minutes and the
>> computer re-boots. Without the battery backup the computer works
>> fine. The backup has a supposedly new battery,
>>
>> I wonder if the "new" battery has an expired shelf life, there are
>> no markings on the battery that I can see. Or maybe a 350 unit is
>> too small for this computer, although the backup unit is bigger than
>> some computers are nowadays, and the battery is very heavy . . .
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Pete
>> https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Pete Theisen
Hi Art,

Maybe the new box is too much for this UPS. I know. I will set it up
sometime on my OLD box, which it ran faithfully for years, and see how
it handles it. I hadn't used it for a while because the original battery
was dead.

Thanks for your input.

On 12/01/2015 03:31 PM, Art Eaton wrote:

> A 350 watt inverter has a peak power passthrough of 350 watts, on battery or not.  Your backup is a combination of a battery, a battery charger, and an inverter.  Some have an automatic buss transfer.  Most just run the inverter all the time.
>    You need at least a 550 watt for ps startup for your average desktop full of old school hardware.  A 350 is a very tiny unit, even if it packs a lot of amp hours.
>
> On December 1, 2015, at 14:31, Bryan Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wow.   That sounds like there's a problem with the backup itself.
>
> Do you have a multi-tester, Pete?   Check the voltage coming from your wall
> outlet (I'm starting at the beginning, folks) and check the voltage the
> battery is putting out when the leads are disconnected from it.
>
> Try plugging a basic incandesent light into the UPS.  See if it goes out
> when the computer reboots.  Try to use the multi-tester to register the
> voltage the UPS is putting out when the computer reboots.
> What is the exact time between reboots?
>

> Thus Pete Theisen hast written on Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 02:03:28PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
>> Hi Sluggers,
>>
>> I know some of you can answer this right off the top of your heads!
>>
>> I am trying to set up a an APC Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009 Dell Studio
>> Core 2 Duo E7500 (3MB L2, 2.93GHz, 1066FSB), Which shipped with
>> Vista and now runs Linux Mint 17.1.
>>
>> The hard drive is 750 GB, if that matters . . .
>>
>> The Backup unit unit drops the power every few minutes and the
>> computer re-boots. Without the battery backup the computer works
>> fine. The backup has a supposedly new battery,
>>
>> I wonder if the "new" battery has an expired shelf life, there are
>> no markings on the battery that I can see. Or maybe a 350 unit is
>> too small for this computer, although the backup unit is bigger than
>> some computers are nowadays, and the battery is very heavy . . .
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Pete
>> https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Pete Theisen
Hi Eben,

I don't have an oscilloscope, though, only these little multimeters . . .

Good idea, though. Thanks.

--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Mark Banschbach, OFS
Pete,

And just to throw in a side note about the Laptop battery.. you can tell its production date from the serial number on the back of the battery...

It will have 20 characters and start with 2 letters.. CN/MX/KR/JP are the typical starters.

in the middle of that number there is a group of 3 characters..  42B  First character is the year.. second is the day and last is the month.  numbered 1-9 and then letters pic up from there.

As a side note, good on you for running Mint.   I have an Inspiron that is about 15 years old and is currently running WIN-7 and Puppy.

Hope that helps even if its not in the vein you were headed in..

Going back to /lurker mode-q (quiet)

Mark

 Hi Eben,

 Lee wrote:

 Thus Pete Theisen hast written on Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at
 02:03:28PM
 >> -0500, and, according to
 prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
 >>> Hi Sluggers,
 >>>
 >>> I am
 trying to set up a an APC Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009 Dell
 Studio
 >>> Core 2 Duo E7500 (3MB
 L2, 2.93GHz, 1066FSB), Which shipped with

 >>> The
 Backup unit unit drops the power every few minutes and
 the
 >>> computer re-boots. Without
 the battery backup the computer works
 >>> fine. The backup has a supposedly
 new battery,

 >>> I wonder if the "new"
 battery has an expired shelf life, there are
 >>> no markings on the battery that I
 can see. Or maybe a 350 unit is

 too small for this computer, although the backup unit is
 bigger than
 >>> some computers are
 nowadays, and the battery is very heavy . . .

 Wow.   That sounds like there's a problem
 with the backup itself.

 >> Do you have a multi-tester,
 Pete?   Check the voltage coming from your
 >> wall
 >> outlet
 (I'm starting at the beginning, folks) and check the
 voltage the
 >> battery is putting out
 when the leads are disconnected from it.

 >> Try plugging
 a basic incandesent light into the UPS.  See if it goes
 out
 >> when the computer reboots.
 Try to use the multi-tester to register the
 >> voltage the UPS is putting out when
 the computer reboots.
 >> What is the
 exact time between reboots?

 --
 Regards,

 Pete
 https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Pete Theisen
This is a battery backup unit for a desktop computer. You were about to
tell me what OFS means.

On 12/01/2015 07:56 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS wrote:

> [...]
>   >> Try plugging
>   a basic incandesent light into the UPS.  See if it goes
>   out
>   >> when the computer reboots.
>   Try to use the multi-tester to register the
>   >> voltage the UPS is putting out when
>   the computer reboots.
>   >> What is the
>   exact time between reboots?
>   >
>   > Yeah.  If you have access to an
>   oscilloscope, check how smooth the
>   >
>   output waveform is.  If it's stepped or noisy, that may
>   be the cause of
>   > the crashes.  Also,
>   plug the computer into the wall (no UPS) and measure
>   > its power draw.  If it's greater than
>   350 VA (or whatever the UPS
>   > supplies),
>   then no matter how big the battery is, the inverter in

Hey Pete and Eben,
   No need for the O-scope in any case.  The UPS should be putting out
the same wave-form from the inverter no matter what the input power is.
That is a main reason for always using one. Cheap ones have a jagged
stair-step looking things, real cheap ones have squares, and the best
have something that looks like a sine wave. This does indeed affect
things, but the power is going to the primary transformer in the
computer power supply anyway, where it gets stepped /back/ down, then
rectified to DC current (pulsed) for another loss of efficiency again,
as well as causing heat etc...
   The truth is, if you just build your machine to take a clean 12V
input as well as 5v etc... direct from a source (like a battery and a
charger combo) and make some tweaks for the ATX power switching
components, then you wind up with something that is a lot quieter, about
40% more efficient, and a heck of a lot cooler, as well as having very
clean regulated DC power running from a very clean ballasted source
(battery voltage).  The downside is that you are more tied to the
quality of your battery.

On 12/1/2015 10:56 PM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> [...]
>>   >> Try plugging
>>   a basic incandesent light into the UPS.  See if it goes
>>   out
>>   >> when the computer reboots.
>>   Try to use the multi-tester to register the
>>   >> voltage the UPS is putting out when
>>   the computer reboots.
>>   >> What is the
>>   exact time between reboots?
>>   >
>>   > Yeah.  If you have access to an
>>   oscilloscope, check how smooth the
>>   >
>>   output waveform is.  If it's stepped or noisy, that may
>>   be the cause of
>>   > the crashes.  Also,
>>   plug the computer into the wall (no UPS) and measure
>>   > its power draw.  If it's greater than
>>   350 VA (or whatever the UPS
>>   > supplies),
>>   then no matter how big the battery is, the inverter in

Hi Pete,

SOrry for my own confusion.. this is what happens pre-caffination  :)

And the OFS is the Moniker for Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis
I am a Franciscan... as well as a penguin :)

Mark

 This is a battery backup

 wrote:
 > Pete,
 >
 > And just to throw in a side note about the
 Laptop battery.. you can tell its production date from the
 serial number on the back of the battery...

 > It will have 20
 characters and start with 2 letters.. CN/MX/KR/JP are the
 typical starters.

 in the middle of that number there is a group of 3
 characters..  42B  First character is the year.. second is
 the day and last is the month.  numbered 1-9 and then
 letters pic up from there.

 > As a side note, good on you for running
 Mint.   I have an Inspiron that is about 15 years
 old and is currently running WIN-7 and Puppy.

 > Hope that helps even
 if its not in the vein you were headed in..

 > Going back to /lurker
 mode-q (quiet)

 Mark

 >   Date: Tuesday, December 1,
 2015, 4:40 PM

 >   Hi Eben,

 don't have an
 >   oscilloscope, though, only
 these little multimeters . . .

 >   Good idea, though. Thanks.
 >
 >   On
 12/01/2015 03:37 PM, Eben
 >   King wrote:
 >   > On Tue, 1 Dec 2015,
 Bryan
 >   Lee wrote:
 >   >
 >   >>
 >   Thus Pete Theisen hast
 written on Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at
 >   02:03:28PM
 >   >> -0500, and,
 according to
 >   prophecy, it
 shall come to pass that:
 >   >>> Hi Sluggers,
 >   >>>
 >   >>> I am
 >   trying to set up a an APC
 Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009 Dell
 >   Studio
 >   >>> Core 2 Duo E7500
 (3MB
 >   L2, 2.93GHz,
 1066FSB), Which shipped with
 >   >>>
 >   >>> The
 >   Backup unit unit drops the
 power every few minutes and
 >   the
 >   >>> computer
 re-boots. Without
 >   the
 battery backup the computer works
 >   >>> fine. The backup
 has a supposedly
 >   new
 battery,
 >   >>>
 >   >>> I wonder if the
 "new"
 >   battery
 has an expired shelf life, there are
 >   >>> no markings on
 the battery that I
 >   can
 see. Or maybe a 350 unit is
 >   >>>
 >   too small for this computer,
 although the backup unit is
 >   bigger than
 >   >>> some computers
 are
 >   nowadays, and the
 battery is very heavy . . .
 >   >
 >   >>
 >   Wow.   That sounds
 like there's a problem
 >   with the backup itself.
 >   >>
 >   >> Do you have a
 multi-tester,
 >   Pete?   Check the
 voltage coming from your
 >   >> wall
 >   >> outlet
 >   (I'm starting at the
 beginning, folks) and check the
 >   voltage the
 >   >> battery is putting
 out
 >   when the leads are
 disconnected from it.
 >   >>
 >   >> Try plugging
 >   a basic incandesent light
 into the UPS.  See if it goes
 >   out
 >   >> when the computer
 reboots.
 >   Try to use the
 multi-tester to register the
 >   >> voltage the UPS is
 putting out when
 >   the
 computer reboots.
 >   >>
 What is the
 >   exact time
 between reboots?
 >   >
 >   > Yeah.  If you have
 access to an
 >   oscilloscope,
 check how smooth the
 >   >
 >   output waveform is.  If
 it's stepped or noisy, that may
 >   be the cause of
 >   > the crashes.  Also,
 >   plug the computer into the
 wall (no UPS) and measure
 >   > its power draw.  If
 it's greater than
 >   350
 VA (or whatever the UPS
 >   > supplies),
 >   then no matter how big the
 battery is, the inverter in
 >   the
 >   > UPS can't hack
 it.
 >   >
 >
 >   --
 >   Regards,
 >
 >   Pete
 >   https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

 Regards,

 Pete
 https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Art Eaton
I think some recusing is in order.  Perhaps some flagellation. Penance time!
...or maybe just two cups of coffee...

On 12/2/2015 7:39 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS wrote:
> Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis

Re: Hardware question

Pete Theisen
Dumb me. I was thinking something to d with Servite . . .

On 12/02/2015 07:39 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> SOrry for my own confusion.. this is what happens pre-caffination  :)
>
> And the OFS is the Moniker for Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis
> I am a Franciscan... as well as a penguin :)
>
> Mark

>   This is a battery backup
>   unit for a desktop computer. You were about to
>   tell me what OFS means.
>
>   On 12/01/2015 07:56 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS
>   wrote:
>   > Pete,
>   >
>   > And just to throw in a side note about the
>   Laptop battery.. you can tell its production date from the
>   serial number on the back of the battery...
>   >
>   > It will have 20
>   characters and start with 2 letters.. CN/MX/KR/JP are the
>   typical starters.
>   >
>   >
>   in the middle of that number there is a group of 3
>   characters..  42B  First character is the year.. second is
>   the day and last is the month.  numbered 1-9 and then
>   letters pic up from there.
>   >
>   > As a side note, good on you for running
>   Mint.   I have an Inspiron that is about 15 years
>   old and is currently running WIN-7 and Puppy.
>   >
>   > Hope that helps even
>   if its not in the vein you were headed in..
> [...]

do with Servite . . .

On 12/02/2015 08:21 PM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Dumb me. I was thinking something to d with Servite . . .
>
> On 12/02/2015 07:39 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> SOrry for my own confusion.. this is what happens pre-caffination  :)
>>
>> And the OFS is the Moniker for Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis
>> I am a Franciscan... as well as a penguin :)
>>
>> Mark

>>   This is a battery backup
>>   unit for a desktop computer. You were about to
>>   tell me what OFS means.
>>
>>   On 12/01/2015 07:56 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS
>>   wrote:
>>   > Pete,
>>   >
>>   > And just to throw in a side note about the
>>   Laptop battery.. you can tell its production date from the
>>   serial number on the back of the battery...
>>   >
>>   > It will have 20
>>   characters and start with 2 letters.. CN/MX/KR/JP are the
>>   typical starters.
>>   >
>>   >
>>   in the middle of that number there is a group of 3
>>   characters..  42B  First character is the year.. second is
>>   the day and last is the month.  numbered 1-9 and then
>>   letters pic up from there.
>>   >
>>   > As a side note, good on you for running
>>   Mint.   I have an Inspiron that is about 15 years
>>   old and is currently running WIN-7 and Puppy.
>>   >
>>   > Hope that helps even
>>   if its not in the vein you were headed in..
> [...]

My parents were in the "third order" when I was a kid. When they died a
group of third order people came to the funeral home to pray. Touching.
They never said OFS in those days . . .

On 12/02/2015 08:48 PM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> do with Servite . . .
>
> On 12/02/2015 08:21 PM, Pete Theisen wrote:
>> Dumb me. I was thinking something to d with Servite . . .
>>
>> On 12/02/2015 07:39 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Pete,
>>>
>>> SOrry for my own confusion.. this is what happens pre-caffination  :)
>>>
>>> And the OFS is the Moniker for Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis
>>> I am a Franciscan... as well as a penguin :)
>>>
>>> Mark

>>>   This is a battery backup
>>>   unit for a desktop computer. You were about to
>>>   tell me what OFS means.
>>>
>>>   On 12/01/2015 07:56 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS
>>>   wrote:
>>>   > Pete,
>>>   >
>>>   > And just to throw in a side note about the
>>>   Laptop battery.. you can tell its production date from the
>>>   serial number on the back of the battery...
>>>   >
>>>   > It will have 20
>>>   characters and start with 2 letters.. CN/MX/KR/JP are the
>>>   typical starters.
>>>   >
>>>   >
>>>   in the middle of that number there is a group of 3
>>>   characters..  42B  First character is the year.. second is
>>>   the day and last is the month.  numbered 1-9 and then
>>>   letters pic up from there.
>>>   >
>>>   > As a side note, good on you for running
>>>   Mint.   I have an Inspiron that is about 15 years
>>>   old and is currently running WIN-7 and Puppy.
>>>   >
>>>   > Hope that helps even
>>>   if its not in the vein you were headed in..
> [...]

Interstingly I know of a number of Orders in the area, Benedictines, Dominicans, Regnum Christi, Carmelites ( both O Carms and Discalced) however, I am totally unaware of any Servite communities in the Bay area.. ( not that I know all these things).. LOL

and yes .. Flagellation ( from the job) and caffine which I obviously did not have enough of before posting..

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.. LOL

 do with Servite . . .

 On 12/02/2015 08:21 PM, Pete Theisen wrote:
 > Dumb me. I was thinking something to d
 with Servite . . .

 On 12/02/2015 07:39 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS wrote:

 >> Hi Pete,
 >>
 >> SOrry for my
 own confusion.. this is what happens pre-caffination  :)

 >> And the OFS
 is the Moniker for Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis
 >> I am a Franciscan... as well as a
 penguin :)

 Mark

 >>   Date: Tuesday, December
 1, 2015, 10:56 PM

 >>   This is a battery
 backup
 >>   unit for a
 desktop computer. You were about to
 >>   tell me what OFS
 means.

 >>   On 12/01/2015 07:56 PM,
 Mark Banschbach, OFS
 >>   wrote:
 >>   > Pete,
 >>   >
 >>   > And just to throw in
 a side note about the
 >>   Laptop battery.. you can
 tell its production date from the
 >>   serial number on the back
 of the battery...
 >>   >
 >>   > It will have 20
 >>   characters and start with
 2 letters.. CN/MX/KR/JP are the
 >>   typical starters.
 >>   >
 >>   >
 >>   in the middle of that
 number there is a group of 3
 >>   characters..  42B
 First character is the year.. second is
 >>   the day and last is the
 month.  numbered 1-9 and then
 >>   letters pic up from
 there.
 >>   >
 >>   > As a side note, good
 on you for running
 >>   Mint.   I have
 an Inspiron that is about 15 years
 >>   old and is currently
 running WIN-7 and Puppy.
 >>   >
 >>   > Hope that helps
 even
 >>   if its not in the
 vein you were headed in..
 >>   >
 >>   > Going back to
 /lurker
 >>   mode-q
 (quiet)
 >>   >
 >>   >
 >>   Mark
 >>   >
 >>   --------------------------------------------
 >>   > On Tue, 12/1/15,
 Pete Theisen <[hidden email]>
 >>   wrote:
 >>   >
 >>   >   Subject:
 Re: [SLUG] Hardware
 >>   question
 >>   >   To:
 "SLUG
 >>   Mailing
 List" <[hidden email]>
 >>   >   Date:
 Tuesday, December 1,
 >>   2015, 4:40 PM
 >>   >
 >>   >   Hi
 Eben,
 >>   >
 >>   >   I
 >>   don't have an
 >>   >   oscilloscope,
 though, only
 >>   these
 little multimeters . . .
 >>   >
 >>   >   Good
 idea, though. Thanks.
 >>   >
 >>   >   On
 >>   12/01/2015 03:37 PM,
 Eben
 wrote:
 >>   >   > On
 Tue, 1 Dec 2015,
 wrote:
 >>   >   >
 >>   >   >>
 >>   >   Thus
 Pete Theisen hast
 >>   written on Tue, Dec 01,
 2015 at
 >>   >   02:03:28PM
 >>   >   >>
 -0500, and,
 >>   according
 >>   >   prophecy,
 it
 >>   shall come to pass
 that:
 >>   >   >>>
 Hi Sluggers,
 >>   >   >>>
 >>   >   >>>
 I am
 >>   >   trying
 to set up a an APC
 >>   Back-UPS CS 350 on a 2009
 Dell
 >>   >   Studio
 >>   >   >>>
 Core 2 Duo E7500
 >>   (3MB
 >>   >   L2,
 2.93GHz,
 >>   1066FSB),
 Which shipped with
 >>   >   >>>
 >>   >   >>>
 The
 >>   >   Backup
 unit unit drops the
 >>   power every few minutes
 and
 >>   >   the
 >>   >   >>>
 computer
 >>   re-boots.
 Without
 >>   >   the
 >>   battery backup the
 computer works
 >>   >   >>>
 fine. The backup
 >>   has a
 supposedly
 >>   >   new
 >>   battery,
 >>   >   >>>
 >>   >   >>>
 I wonder if the
 >>   "new"
 >>   >   battery
 >>   has an expired shelf
 life, there are
 >>   >   >>>
 no markings on
 >>   the
 battery that I
 >>   >   can
 >>   see. Or maybe a 350 unit
 is
 >>   >   >>>
 >>   >   too
 small for this computer,
 >>   although the backup unit
 is
 >>   >   bigger
 than
 >>   >   >>>
 some computers
 >>   are
 >>   >   nowadays,
 and the
 >>   battery is
 very heavy . . .
 >>   >   >
 >>   >   >>
 >>   >   Wow.   That
 sounds
 >>   like
 there's a problem
 >>   >   with
 the backup itself.
 >>   >   >>
 >>   >   >>
 Do you have a
 >>   multi-tester,
 >>   >   Pete?   Check
 the
 >>   voltage coming
 from your
 >>   >   >>
 wall
 >>   >   >>
 outlet
 >>   >   (I'm
 starting at the
 >>   beginning, folks) and
 check the
 >>   >   voltage
 the
 >>   >   >>
 battery is putting
 >>   out
 >>   >   when
 the leads are
 >>   disconnected from it.
 >>   >   >>
 >>   >   >>
 Try plugging
 >>   >   a basic
 incandesent light
 >>   into
 the UPS.  See if it goes
 >>   >   out
 >>   >   >>
 when the computer
 >>   reboots.
 >>   >   Try to
 use the
 >>   multi-tester
 to register the
 >>   >   >>
 voltage the UPS is
 >>   putting out when
 >>   >   the
 >>   computer reboots.
 >>   >   >>
 >>   What is the
 >>   >   exact
 time
 >>   between
 reboots?
 >>   >   >
 >>   >   >
 Yeah.  If you have
 >>   access to an
 >>   >   oscilloscope,
 >>   check how smooth the
 >>   >   >
 >>   >   output
 waveform is.  If
 >>   it's stepped or
 noisy, that may
 >>   >   be the
 cause of
 >>   >   >
 the crashes.  Also,
 >>   >   plug
 the computer into the
 >>   wall (no UPS) and
 measure
 >>   >   >
 its power draw.  If
 >>   it's greater than
 >>   >   350
 >>   VA (or whatever the
 UPS
 >>   >   >
 supplies),
 >>   >   then no
 matter how big the
 >>   battery is, the inverter
 in
 >>   >   the
 >>   >   >
 UPS can't hack
 >>   it.
 >>   >   >
 >>   >
 >>   >   --
 >>   >   Regards,
 >>   >
 >>   >   Pete
 >>   >   https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5
 >>   >   _______________________________________________
 >>   >   slug
 mailing list
 >>   >   [hidden email]
 >>   >   https://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug
 >>   >
 >>   >
 >>
 >>   --
 >>   Regards,
 >>
 >>   Pete
 >>   https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

 Regards,

 Pete
 https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Hardware question

Chance Walton
WTF is this?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 2, 2015, at 9:39 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interstingly I know of a number of Orders in the area, Benedictines, Dominicans, Regnum Christi, Carmelites ( both O Carms and Discalced) however, I am totally unaware of any Servite communities in the Bay area.. ( not that I know all these things).. LOL
>
> and yes .. Flagellation ( from the job) and caffine which I obviously did not have enough of before posting..
>
> Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.. LOL

> do with Servite . . .
>
>> On 12/02/2015 08:21 PM, Pete Theisen wrote:
>> Dumb me. I was thinking something to d
> with Servite . . .
> On 12/02/2015 07:39 PM, Mark Banschbach, OFS wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Pete,
>>>
>>> SOrry for my
> own confusion.. this is what happens pre-caffination  :)
>>>
>>> And the OFS
> is the Moniker for Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis
>>> I am a Franciscan... as well as a
> penguin :)
> Mark
>>>    Date: Tuesday, December
> 1, 2015, 10:56 PM
>>>
>>>    This is a battery
> backup
>>>    unit for a
> desktop computer. You were about to
>>>    tell me what OFS
> means.
>>>
>>>    On 12/01/2015 07:56 PM,
> Mark Banschbach, OFS
>>>    wrote:
>>>    > Pete,
>>>    >
>>>    > And just to throw in
> a side note about the
>>>    Laptop battery.. you can
> tell its production date from the
>>>    serial number on the back
> of the battery...
>>>    >
>>>    > It will have 20
>>>    characters and start with
> 2 letters.. CN/MX/KR/JP are the
>>>    typical starters.
>>>    >
>>>    >
>>>    in the middle of that
> number there is a group of 3
>>>    characters..  42B
> First character is the year.. second is
>>>    the day and last is the
> month.  numbered 1-9 and then
>>>    letters pic up from
> there.
>>>    >
>>>    > As a side note, good
> on you for running
>>>    Mint.   I have
> an Inspiron that is about 15 years

Re: Hardware question

Art Eaton
It's a meet and greet for former members of the Round Table or
something.  Back in the day we called it a "hijacked thread".
...Notice there is never much mention of the Jesuits...who to we...uh,
much more secular types seem to be the 'good guys' of the bunch- at
least in later years.
..and back on topic:
http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2009080301135OSMSLL
   Amazing how many catholics in tech and engineering I have met and had
a discussion with eventually seemed to sneak away from the Benedictines
and Franciscans and head towards the Jesuits.  The do have quite a good
bunch of scientists, support open-source, and generally have a much more
progressive stance on about everything...and don't offer any BS to try
to rationalize their belief in the supernatural.  They are often (not
always) really cool.  Frankly, they are one of the few organizations of
theology that I would approach to support something like events for
technology and education.
   Since waaaay back in the day, they helped conquer South America, I am
also pretty sure they support coffee drinking.
;-)