Hard Disk hell...

Chuck Hast
Folks,
I have a bunch of hard disk that I have to deal with, all of them are 80G in
size, each disk has two partitions on it, partition one is a NTFS bootable
with windows on it, partition two is a FAT partition with backup materials
on it.

The original backup and recovery was done using ghost, but the supposed
fix to allow it to work with a jump drive rather than a floppy (yes these old
machines still had floppy drives in them, they really are not so old it was
just that ghost needed the floppy to work).

I am trying to have a set of images on a hard drive so when one gets dinged
I can just hook up the machine and lay new asphalt, BUT turns out that
some of the 80G hard drives are of a slightly smaller size than the one that
I pulled the image from, so the bugger abends, or if I get the image on it
the MBR does not work.

I am trying to come up with a quick fix that will allow me to work with both
drives and will lay down the MBR at the same time, any ideas??

--

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;

ZoneMinder Demo and test site
www.wchast.com/zm
Login = guest
pwd   = guest

Re: Hard Disk hell...

Chuck Hast
Now I am konfused... I took a disk image, and loaded it onto a hard disk of
the same size as the original hard disk. BUT still no boot. Anyone have any
idea of what I may be doing wrong?

I am imaging a XP image, all I can see would indicate that the imaging pro-
cess should grab the MBR and the windows files as part of the whole pro-
cess. I also tried to use fixmbr.exe, but it tosses a error saying that the
disk is not the original source, and attempting to fix the mbr may leave the
disk useless, and it appears to be correct as it does ot find the bootable
files and it fails.

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;
and twisted metal."
---
Home web site:
www.wchast.com

ZoneMinder Demo and test site
www.wchast.com/zm
Login = guest
pwd   = guest

Re: Hard Disk hell...

Thomas Ramsdell
try herons boot usb,   it is great..  if will fix the bad disk and let you
image future disks from it,

Thomas

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Chuck Hast <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now I am konfused... I took a disk image, and loaded it onto a hard disk of
> the same size as the original hard disk. BUT still no boot. Anyone have any
> idea of what I may be doing wrong?
>
> I am imaging a XP image, all I can see would indicate that the imaging pro-
> cess should grab the MBR and the windows files as part of the whole pro-
> cess. I also tried to use fixmbr.exe, but it tosses a error saying that the
> disk is not the original source, and attempting to fix the mbr may leave
> the
> disk useless, and it appears to be correct as it does ot find the bootable
> files and it fails.
>

> Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
> To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
> out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
> and twisted metal."
> ---
> Home web site:
> www.wchast.com
>
> ZoneMinder Demo and test site
> www.wchast.com/zm
> Login = guest
> pwd   = guest

Re: Hard Disk hell...

Chuck Hast
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 22:31, Thomas Ramsdell
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> try herons boot usb,   it is great..  if will fix the bad disk and let you
> image future disks from it,

I went there, has a long list of applications that are on the CD but I was never
able to find the download button to pull it. There were adverts on the side of
the page for similar products, but did not find the page to download the thing.

I have used partition image before and it always seemed to work, but this
time I am not sure what is going on. If I look at the image that is on the new
disk it appears intact, but it will not boot. Seems it can not find the mbr.

--

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;
and twisted metal."
---
Home web site:
www.wchast.com

ZoneMinder Demo and test site
www.wchast.com/zm
Login = guest
pwd   = guest

Re: Hard Disk hell...

Jeff
On Saturday 21 April 2012 7:38:53 am Chuck Hast wrote:
> I went there, has a long list of applications that are on the CD but
> I was never able to find the download button to pull it. There were
> adverts on the side of the page for similar products, but did not
> find the page to download the thing.

Try this page: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Near the bottom of the page is a link to the zip file. It looks like they
zipped the ISO image for some reason.  MD5's for the zip and the ISO are
below the filename.

Jeff

Re: Hard Disk hell...

Chuck Hast
On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 08:39, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday 21 April 2012 7:38:53 am Chuck Hast wrote:
>> I went there, has a long list of applications that are on the CD but
>> I was never able to find the download button to pull it. There were
>> adverts on the side of the page for similar products, but did not
>> find the page to download the thing.
>

> Try this page: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
>
> Near the bottom of the page is a link to the zip file. It looks like they
> zipped the ISO image for some reason.  MD5's for the zip and the ISO are
> below the filename.

Found it! Thank you. Not sure how I missed it as I thought I looked at the
page from top to bottom. But I have it downloading now.