Free computers

Donald E Haselwood
I'm cleaning out.  The following are free to pick up (Lutz).  If no one
wants them they go the county waste mgt.

PIII 800 MHz
 655K ram
 3 HD's: 2, ?, 60 GB
 NIC, floppy, CD
 Win 2K, SUSE

PII Dell 233 MHz
 512K ram
 2 HD's: 6.4, 13.5 GB
 NIC, floppy, CD, extra COM
 KB, mouse
 Win 98, SUSE

Monitor, 19" tube type

They all work.

Don

Re: Free computers

Art Eaton
Heh, just gave away an AMD Athlon64x2 3600 with three SATA drives and
Ubuntu64 (don't worry, it went to one of our gang).  Point is, we should
post up free computers, and make sure they are loaded with linux and
ready to go first.  We could build up give-aways at some of the
meetings, and post them as free w/pickup at the meetings.
On 5/11/2013 3:52 PM, Donald E Haselwood wrote:

> I'm cleaning out.  The following are free to pick up (Lutz).  If no one
> wants them they go the county waste mgt.
>
> PIII 800 MHz
>   655K ram
>   3 HD's: 2, ?, 60 GB
>   NIC, floppy, CD
>   Win 2K, SUSE
>
> PII Dell 233 MHz
>   512K ram
>   2 HD's: 6.4, 13.5 GB
>   NIC, floppy, CD, extra COM
>   KB, mouse
>   Win 98, SUSE
>
> Monitor, 19" tube type
>
> They all work.
>
> Don

Re: Free computers

Eric Peterson
Infra-annual meeting attendee (2 in the last 2.5 years) here would be happy
to give the boxen a home.

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Art Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heh, just gave away an AMD Athlon64x2 3600 with three SATA drives and
> Ubuntu64 (don't worry, it went to one of our gang).  Point is, we should
> post up free computers, and make sure they are loaded with linux and ready
> to go first.  We could build up give-aways at some of the meetings, and
> post them as free w/pickup at the meetings.
>
> On 5/11/2013 3:52 PM, Donald E Haselwood wrote:
>
>> I'm cleaning out.  The following are free to pick up (Lutz).  If no one
>> wants them they go the county waste mgt.
>>
>> PIII 800 MHz
>>   655K ram
>>   3 HD's: 2, ?, 60 GB
>>   NIC, floppy, CD
>>   Win 2K, SUSE
>>
>> PII Dell 233 MHz
>>   512K ram
>>   2 HD's: 6.4, 13.5 GB
>>   NIC, floppy, CD, extra COM
>>   KB, mouse
>>   Win 98, SUSE
>>
>> Monitor, 19" tube type
>>
>> They all work.
>>
>> Don

Re: Free computers

Floyd Roberts
Dont send them to the county dump - Load Linux (kbuntu for education) and
drop them off at a school or day care..... The kids are not scared of Linux
!

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Eric Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Infra-annual meeting attendee (2 in the last 2.5 years) here would be happy
> to give the boxen a home.
>

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Art Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Heh, just gave away an AMD Athlon64x2 3600 with three SATA drives and
> > Ubuntu64 (don't worry, it went to one of our gang).  Point is, we should
> > post up free computers, and make sure they are loaded with linux and
> ready
> > to go first.  We could build up give-aways at some of the meetings, and
> > post them as free w/pickup at the meetings.
> >
> > On 5/11/2013 3:52 PM, Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> >
> >> I'm cleaning out.  The following are free to pick up (Lutz).  If no one
> >> wants them they go the county waste mgt.
> >>
> >> PIII 800 MHz
> >>   655K ram
> >>   3 HD's: 2, ?, 60 GB
> >>   NIC, floppy, CD
> >>   Win 2K, SUSE
> >>
> >> PII Dell 233 MHz
> >>   512K ram
> >>   2 HD's: 6.4, 13.5 GB
> >>   NIC, floppy, CD, extra COM
> >>   KB, mouse
> >>   Win 98, SUSE
> >>
> >> Monitor, 19" tube type
> >>
> >> They all work.
> >>
> >> Don

Re: Free computers

PiousMinion
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Floyd Roberts <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dont send them to the county dump - Load Linux (kbuntu for education) and
> drop them off at a school or day care..... The kids are not scared of Linux
> !

Nice suggestion, but these don't meet the kubuntu system requirements by a
long shot.  According to wikipedia "The minimum system requirements for
Lubuntu 13.04 are a Pentium II <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_II> or
Celeron <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron> CPU with PAE support, 128 MB
of RAM...".  They all share the same repos so just slap lubuntu on there
and install the same edubuntu packages. :)

I'm sure the boy and girls club would take them. :)

Re: Free computers

Jeff Levy
ell Server Giveaways:

Does SLUG count as a Non-Profit, or some other entity? I've got, from our
old datacenter, a stack of servers I need to get rid of. I tried getting
rid of em' on Ebay, but they're so old, they would get me between $50 and
$100. Forget about it. Too much effort. I don't need the money anyway.

I forget the exact configuration of these boxes, but they're all XEON. The
850, I think, is a Celery.

1) 2x Dell PowerEdge 2950

2) 1x Dell PowerEdge 850
3) 1x Dell PowerEdge 1850

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM, PiousMinion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Floyd Roberts <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Dont send them to the county dump - Load Linux (kbuntu for education) and
> > drop them off at a school or day care..... The kids are not scared of
> Linux
> > !

> Nice suggestion, but these don't meet the kubuntu system requirements by a
> long shot.  According to wikipedia "The minimum system requirements for
> Lubuntu 13.04 are a Pentium II <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_II>
> or
> Celeron <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron> CPU with PAE support, 128
> MB
> of RAM...".  They all share the same repos so just slap lubuntu on there
> and install the same edubuntu packages. :)
>
> I'm sure the boy and girls club would take them. :)

Re: Free computers

PiousMinion
I am disabled(0 income) which makes computers and server administration (my
hobby) kind of difficult.  All my current equipment has been donated to me
by others who I've helped freely.  Currently I have a dell poweredge 2850
for which I use to host small sites and game servers for various people and
help introduce them to linux(via vnc). I'd love to be able to extend my
services. If you're willing, I'd be more than happy to take these off your
hands and make good use of them by not only furthering my personal
education, but by continuing to provide free services to any that may seek
them.

Any equipment that has been donated to me that I have no use of is passed
along freely to someone who can use it.  If there is anything you need that
I might be able to provide, let me know.  This applies to anyone on the
mailing list.

If you're looking for a tax write-off, perhaps donating to me isn't your
best option. :P

"It is one of the essential features of such incompetence that the person
so afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent...
..To have such knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the
offense. ( Miller, 1993 , p. 4)

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Jeff Levy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ell Server Giveaways:
>
> Does SLUG count as a Non-Profit, or some other entity? I've got, from our
> old datacenter, a stack of servers I need to get rid of. I tried getting
> rid of em' on Ebay, but they're so old, they would get me between $50 and
> $100. Forget about it. Too much effort. I don't need the money anyway.
>
> I forget the exact configuration of these boxes, but they're all XEON. The
> 850, I think, is a Celery.
>
> 1) 2x Dell PowerEdge 2950
>

> 2) 1x Dell PowerEdge 850
> 3) 1x Dell PowerEdge 1850
>

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM, PiousMinion <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Floyd Roberts <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Dont send them to the county dump - Load Linux (kbuntu for education)
> and
> > > drop them off at a school or day care..... The kids are not scared of
> > Linux
> > > !

> > Nice suggestion, but these don't meet the kubuntu system requirements by
> > long shot.  According to wikipedia "The minimum system requirements for
> > Lubuntu 13.04 are a Pentium II <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_II>
> > or
> > Celeron <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron> CPU with PAE support, 128
> > MB
> > of RAM...".  They all share the same repos so just slap lubuntu on there
> > and install the same edubuntu packages. :)
> >
> > I'm sure the boy and girls club would take them. :)

Re: Free computers

Jeff Levy
The Tax Write-off angle is correct. It's the boss's thing, not mine, I
assure you.  What about the SLUG, though. Does it count as a charitable
org? If it is, I will donate to the SLUG, and the SLUG can hold a raffle,
or something.

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM, PiousMinion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am disabled(0 income) which makes computers and server administration (my
> hobby) kind of difficult.  All my current equipment has been donated to me
> by others who I've helped freely.  Currently I have a dell poweredge 2850
> for which I use to host small sites and game servers for various people and
> help introduce them to linux(via vnc). I'd love to be able to extend my
> services. If you're willing, I'd be more than happy to take these off your
> hands and make good use of them by not only furthering my personal
> education, but by continuing to provide free services to any that may seek
> them.
>
> Any equipment that has been donated to me that I have no use of is passed
> along freely to someone who can use it.  If there is anything you need that
> I might be able to provide, let me know.  This applies to anyone on the
> mailing list.
>
> If you're looking for a tax write-off, perhaps donating to me isn't your
> best option. :P
>
> "It is one of the essential features of such incompetence that the person
> so afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent...
> ..To have such knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the
> offense. ( Miller, 1993 , p. 4)
>

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Jeff Levy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > ell Server Giveaways:
> >
> > Does SLUG count as a Non-Profit, or some other entity? I've got, from our
> > old datacenter, a stack of servers I need to get rid of. I tried getting
> > rid of em' on Ebay, but they're so old, they would get me between $50 and
> > $100. Forget about it. Too much effort. I don't need the money anyway.
> >
> > I forget the exact configuration of these boxes, but they're all XEON.
> The
> > 850, I think, is a Celery.
> >
> > 1) 2x Dell PowerEdge 2950
> >

> > 2) 1x Dell PowerEdge 850
> > 3) 1x Dell PowerEdge 1850
> >

> > On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM, PiousMinion <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Floyd Roberts <
> [hidden email]

> > and
> > > Linux

> > > Nice suggestion, but these don't meet the kubuntu system requirements
> by
> > > long shot.  According to wikipedia "The minimum system requirements for
> > > Lubuntu 13.04 are a Pentium II <
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_II>
> > > or
> > > Celeron <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron> CPU with PAE support,
> 128
> > > MB
> > > of RAM...".  They all share the same repos so just slap lubuntu on
> there
> > > and install the same edubuntu packages. :)
> > >
> > > I'm sure the boy and girls club would take them. :)

Re: Free computers

Bryan Lee
SLUG is not a charitable organization.  In fact, we're not even
incorporated.

The Makerspace Tampa Bay group have filed paperwork for a new Non-Profit
Corporation called Inspiration Labs, Inc.   I can put the president, Bill
Shaw, in touch with you about whether this sort of donation would be useful.
I don't think they have charitable status YET.

        http://makerspacetampabay.org/
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/170014249762701/

Thus Jeff Levy hast written on Tue, May 14, 2013 at 01:15:17PM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:

> The Tax Write-off angle is correct. It's the boss's thing, not mine, I
> assure you.  What about the SLUG, though. Does it count as a charitable
> org? If it is, I will donate to the SLUG, and the SLUG can hold a raffle,
> or something.
>

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM, PiousMinion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I am disabled(0 income) which makes computers and server administration (my
> > hobby) kind of difficult.  All my current equipment has been donated to me
> > by others who I've helped freely.  Currently I have a dell poweredge 2850
> > for which I use to host small sites and game servers for various people and
> > help introduce them to linux(via vnc). I'd love to be able to extend my
> > services. If you're willing, I'd be more than happy to take these off your
> > hands and make good use of them by not only furthering my personal
> > education, but by continuing to provide free services to any that may seek
> > them.
> >
> > Any equipment that has been donated to me that I have no use of is passed
> > along freely to someone who can use it.  If there is anything you need that
> > I might be able to provide, let me know.  This applies to anyone on the
> > mailing list.
> >
> > If you're looking for a tax write-off, perhaps donating to me isn't your
> > best option. :P
> >
> > "It is one of the essential features of such incompetence that the person
> > so afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent...
> > ..To have such knowledge would already be to remedy a good portion of the
> > offense. ( Miller, 1993 , p. 4)
> >

> > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Jeff Levy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > ell Server Giveaways:
> > >
> > > Does SLUG count as a Non-Profit, or some other entity? I've got, from our
> > > old datacenter, a stack of servers I need to get rid of. I tried getting
> > > rid of em' on Ebay, but they're so old, they would get me between $50 and
> > > $100. Forget about it. Too much effort. I don't need the money anyway.
> > >
> > > I forget the exact configuration of these boxes, but they're all XEON.
> > The
> > > 850, I think, is a Celery.
> > >
> > > 1) 2x Dell PowerEdge 2950
> > >

> > > 2) 1x Dell PowerEdge 850
> > > 3) 1x Dell PowerEdge 1850

> > [hidden email]

> > > and

> > by
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_II>
> > 128
> > there

> > > --

Re: Free computers

Floyd Roberts
I am associated with  a school (501C3) in its formative state. Let me ask a
few others and If you are willing we would be grateful to have them.
Floyd Roberts
PS s- Academy by the sea in st pete beach - would be only the second
Montessori in Pinellas for middle school kids and they are willing to teach
Linux and coding early....