Disk images...

Chuck Hast
Folks,
I am using clonezilla to copy disk, but I would like to also store the full
disk image (there are 3 of them) on a backup disk.

Each disk has two partitions, one is a ntfs partition which is bootable and
the second is a FAT32 partition which just has the backup files to recover
if the system gets corrupted.

I need to back up the whole thing, each disk is a 80G drive, one partition is
40G and the other is about 37G.

I can see how to copy or clone each partition, but I want to also copy the
whole disk image to my back up 500G drive, rather each of the 3.  I also
want to include the MBR for each of the bootable partitions. I am just not
sure how to move the full image of each of the 3 disk on to the 500G disk
so I can have it to set aside for disk creation.

It appears that Clonezilla should be able to do it but I am not clear on how
to make sure I get the MBR along with the two partitions for each disk.

--

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;

ZoneMinder Demo and test site
www.wchast.com/zm
Login = guest
pwd   = guest

Re: Disk images...

Eben King
On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Chuck Hast wrote:

> Folks,
> I am using clonezilla to copy disk, but I would like to also store the full
> disk image (there are 3 of them) on a backup disk.
>
> Each disk has two partitions, one is a ntfs partition which is bootable and
> the second is a FAT32 partition which just has the backup files to recover
> if the system gets corrupted.
>
> I need to back up the whole thing, each disk is a 80G drive, one partition is
> 40G and the other is about 37G.
>
> I can see how to copy or clone each partition, but I want to also copy the
> whole disk image to my back up 500G drive, rather each of the 3.  I also
> want to include the MBR for each of the bootable partitions. I am just not
> sure how to move the full image of each of the 3 disk on to the 500G disk
> so I can have it to set aside for disk creation.

dd if=/dev/hdX bs=512 count=Y > $BKUP_DRIVE/mbr.image

where hdX is the source drive and Y is the number of 512-byte sectors to get
the MBR and partition table (I'm not sure what it is).  If you need to
restore this onto a larger hard drive, the easiest way to do it is

cat mbr.image part[12].image > /dev/hdZ

where hdZ is the new disk, then run (g)parted to resize the partitions.  I
think those will work, but you might want to test them before you rely on
them.

Why do you need the partitions separately?

Check this out:

http://www.andremiller.net/content/mounting-hard-disk-image-including-partitions-using-linux

--
-eben    [hidden email]    http://royalty.mine.nu:81
SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming

Re: Disk images...

Chuck Hast
OK, I will give that a try on my test equipment.

I have to keep things on the target disk as they were from the factory.
These are glass container inspection machines and they are laid out
that way from the factory. After I have things up and running I plan on
looking at what I can do to re-work things, but I have to keep it to where
if a manufacturers field engineer comes in to do something such as a
upgrade where they have to do the work, I have to keep the machine
pretty near factory specs.

On the machine, the computer in question has two partitions, a C part.
which is ntfs and a d part. which is fat32, each one is about half of the
80G hard drive. The C partition is the bootable one, the d just has all of
the recovery files in it. Also the db stores some stuff there, from the
container inspections.

My dream is to move these things to Linux but that is probably too
much right now. But I can dream.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 18:01, Eben King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> I am using clonezilla to copy disk, but I would like to also store the
>> full
>> disk image (there are 3 of them) on a backup disk.
>>
>> Each disk has two partitions, one is a ntfs partition which is bootable
>> and
>> the second is a FAT32 partition which just has the backup files to recover
>> if the system gets corrupted.
>>
>> I need to back up the whole thing, each disk is a 80G drive, one partition
>> is
>> 40G and the other is about 37G.
>>
>> I can see how to copy or clone each partition, but I want to also copy the
>> whole disk image to my back up 500G drive, rather each of the 3.  I also
>> want to include the MBR for each of the bootable partitions. I am just not
>> sure how to move the full image of each of the 3 disk on to the 500G disk
>> so I can have it to set aside for disk creation.
>

> dd if=/dev/hdX bs=512 count=Y > $BKUP_DRIVE/mbr.image
>
> where hdX is the source drive and Y is the number of 512-byte sectors to get
> the MBR and partition table (I'm not sure what it is).  If you need to
> restore this onto a larger hard drive, the easiest way to do it is
>
> cat mbr.image part[12].image > /dev/hdZ
>
> where hdZ is the new disk, then run (g)parted to resize the partitions.  I
> think those will work, but you might want to test them before you rely on
> them.
>
> Why do you need the partitions separately?
>
> Check this out:
>
> http://www.andremiller.net/content/mounting-hard-disk-image-including-partitions-using-linux
>
> --
> -eben    [hidden email]    http://royalty.mine.nu:81
> SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming
> from an open window.  Work a little harder on improving your low self
> esteem, you stupid freak.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;
and twisted metal."
---
Home web site:
www.wchast.com

ZoneMinder Demo and test site
www.wchast.com/zm
Login = guest
pwd   = guest

Re: Disk images...

Bill D
I'm not completely sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do, but
clonezilla gives you the option to clone a partition or clone an entire
disk(including the mbr)