Cable and FIOS alternatives

Bryan Lee
My grandmother has a tablet she uses for internet, and wants to be able to
provide internet to guest's laptops/tablets/phones.

She currently has a Clear cellular-wifi hotspot, that (as implied) uses the
cellular network for internet access.   She's had it for a couple years and
it's really pretty sweet, occasionally needing a power-cycle, but AFAIK
generally being stable and serving her internet needs.

But, this service is apparently being discontinued in November.
I need other options.

She does not have any kind of cable or satelite tv, and doesn't really want
it.  She has a standard phone line.  Her fixed income allows only
$30-$40/month.  She needs something that's simple, stable, and easy to
manage (though I could handle a complex initial setup).  Speed and
bandwidth are not requirements, but able to stream a youtube video without
buffering her Nook would be nice.  Not opposed to bringing in another
utility line if it's within this cost profile.

Any suggestions for alternative internet access?

Re: Cable and FIOS alternatives

Timothy Jones
Assuming that she has a smart phone, you could add "Mobile HotSpot" to her
phone for an incremental $5-10/month.  If she has just a flip-phone, maybe
it's worthwhile to upgrade her to a smart phone so she can get the HotSpot
feature for so little.

I'm on MetroPCS (now TMobile).  I don't use my phone's hotspot function a
lot, since I am mostly happy with BrightHouse, but it has saved my bacon
during a few brighthouse outages, and my kids have used it in the car to
use the internet while we're driving somewhere.

tlj

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Bryan Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My grandmother has a tablet she uses for internet, and wants to be able to
> provide internet to guest's laptops/tablets/phones.
>
> She currently has a Clear cellular-wifi hotspot, that (as implied) uses the
> cellular network for internet access.   She's had it for a couple years and
> it's really pretty sweet, occasionally needing a power-cycle, but AFAIK
> generally being stable and serving her internet needs.
>
> But, this service is apparently being discontinued in November.
> I need other options.
>
> She does not have any kind of cable or satelite tv, and doesn't really want
> it.  She has a standard phone line.  Her fixed income allows only
> $30-$40/month.  She needs something that's simple, stable, and easy to
> manage (though I could handle a complex initial setup).  Speed and
> bandwidth are not requirements, but able to stream a youtube video without
> buffering her Nook would be nice.  Not opposed to bringing in another
> utility line if it's within this cost profile.
>
> Any suggestions for alternative internet access?

Re: Cable and FIOS alternatives

Robin Miller
On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Bryan Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My grandmother has a tablet she uses for internet, and wants to be able to
> provide internet to guest's laptops/tablets/phones.
>

> She does not have any kind of cable or satelite tv, and doesn't really want
> it.  She has a standard phone line.  Her fixed income allows only
> $30-$40/month.

There's a Brighthouse $30/month plan  -
http://brighthouse.com/basic-lite-2995.html - that (of course) bundles some
sort of tinkly cable TV, and I'm sure you need to pay for the modem and/or
wireless router. But once she has Internet, she can get VOIP phone service
for cheap, as in my wife and I pay $10/month for Basictalk, and there are
even cheaper alternatives, including the dread MagicJack, but they haven't
worked well for us or assorted relatives who have tried them.

This would be easy to manage. It really wouldn't need management at all.

If your grandmother adopts or fosters a kid who's poor enough to get free
or reduced lunches at school, there's a $10/month internet program --
http://www.cheapinternet.com/low-income-internet -- that's available
sometimes, with many caveats. The kid may not be necessary for some
variants of this program. I wrote a thing about it, but that was 6 or 7
years ago, or 3 - 4 centuries in Internet years.

For fast home internet, I recommend FIOS. I hate Verizon, but I hate
Brighthouse only a little less, so... I currently have 25 down *& up* on
FIOS, which is great for me since I upload 4 - 12 videos per week. Mucho
faster than Brighthouse, which sucks on the upload side no matter how much
you spend with them.

We give Verizon $92/month for 25/25 internet and HD cable TV, because the
Internet alone was $65 and my wife batted her eyes at me because there are
things on cable she likes to watch. This is WAY better than giving
Brighthouse $160/month for inferior internet speeds and fewer cable
channels. Hell, I'm thinking about bumping my FIOS speed to 50/50 - get the
phone in as a bundle, it's like $10 more than we're paying now -- but we
wouldn't be giving basictalk $10/month. Hmmm....

> Any suggestions for alternative internet access?

Yeah, sure. Go back in time (possibly with a Terminator to help you) and
kill the people who sold off cable monopolies locally (in MANY locales)
instead of allowing competition or setting up municipal cable TV and
internet. Gotta kill them BEFORE they take the bribes and screw the
citizenry. Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck with a cableco:verizon
duopoly most places in this region.

What I personally want is "naked internet" with no email or other crap, and
no hand-holding. Gimme the raw pipe and I'm happy. That should go for less
than $30/month. But nooooooo'...

Fah! :(

--
Robin 'Roblimo' Miller