Bradenton Sarasota Meeting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options

Bradenton Sarasota Meeting

vzd1s11k
I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.

First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
Star2Star Communications
600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243

Joe Brandt
941-234-0001 x327

Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.

First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba

Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.

Robert Snyder
Topic is still pending as I am waiting some new parts to come in.   The
hope is for everyone to experience a little pi,  raspberry pi that is.

So If we heres the deal, since this is going to be the first real meeting
in some time, I think I shall do something special.   I will setup a
calendar for the event which looks like it will be on March 6th .   If we
get more then the 5 people who RSVP. I will take care of the food and
drinks, in honor of this occasion.

Rob "WeeRobby"

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
> Star2Star Communications
> 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
> Joe Brandt
> 941-234-0001 x327
> Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
> First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
> Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
> _______________________________________________
> slug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

Pete Theisen
On 02/16/2013 09:56 PM, Robert Snyder wrote:

Hi Wee Robby,

Pending this, on the 26th, next Tuesday, I am hosting a campaign event
in Sarasota from 5 PM to 7 PM. A LOT of my campaign is about converting
the city to Linux Desktops - their servers are already Linux. You can
completely ignore the politics, which will be minimal anyway, and
concentrate on presenting your Linux notebook.

I am going to bring my own Linux notebook. I hope some of you will bring
your Linux notebooks and join me. Last time I had 8 guests, more than I
could demo at once. But a few people played with it, one said he had
never seen Linux and he was able to use it immediately (Fedora 16).

Pizza and soda is on me for all who come. Ringling Pizza, Ringling at
Lime. (across from old Publix) Their Pizza is good and the wifi is fine.
Anyone from Tampa or St. Pete wish to come chime in and I will post the
directions.

Unfortunately, I am booked on the 6th. Hate to miss it.

> Topic is still pending as I am waiting some new parts to come in.   The
> hope is for everyone to experience a little pi,  raspberry pi that is.
> So If we heres the deal, since this is going to be the first real meeting
> in some time, I think I shall do something special.   I will setup a
> calendar for the event which looks like it will be on March 6th .   If we
> get more then the 5 people who RSVP. I will take care of the food and
> drinks, in honor of this occasion.
> Rob "WeeRobby"
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
>> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
>> Star2Star Communications
>> 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
>> Joe Brandt
>> 941-234-0001 x327
>> Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
>> First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
>> Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
>> _______________________________________________
>> slug mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug
> _______________________________________________
> slug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

Regards,

Pete

dylan
Administrator
In reply to this post by vzd1s11k
Alright, there are a number of formalities that need to be brought up.

*  Meetings must occur for 6 months before slug will endorse them
officially. This will also require majority consent of the officers.
* The term we will use to describe these unofficial meetings will be "beta
meetings", which sounds nicer than unofficial. :)
* The beta meeting coordinator should attend at least one existing meeting,
to get a feel for things.
* There are a number of other things, mostly under "ensure slug's
reputation is not harmed" which I will write up in an off-list mail --
assuming joe is the beta coordinator.

Also, you might get wider draw (e.g. get people from other counties) if
your meeting was on a different weekday then the other two meetings.

On Feb 16, 2013 4:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
> Star2Star Communications
> 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
> Joe Brandt
> 941-234-0001 x327
> Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
> First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
> Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
> _______________________________________________
> slug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

Jim Wildman
In reply to this post by Pete Theisen
Assuming I don't get scheduled for something else, I'll come and play.
I have (not too surprisingly) RHEL6 on my laptop.

And as an introduction.....

I was hired by Red Hat in October to be a Florida based Solutions
Architect supporting sales efforts in the state.   My wife and I moved
to the Lakeland area for this job from Houston, TX.  Before that it was
Columbus, OH where I worked for Bank One/JPM Chase and was very active
with the COLUG meetings.

I put my first Linux box into production in 1995 and haven't looked
back.   My main goal in joining the SLUG list is to find other Linux
people.  Houston was a wasteland as far as LUG's were concerned (theory
is that all the financial/energy folks were too locked up with non
disclosures to get involved).  So far (the last 3 months) I've been out
of town for all of the regular meetings. My main tech interests are Red
Hat derived Linux, identity management, security and virtualization/cloud.

Jim Wildman, RHCE
Solutions Architect, Southeast Region
832-226-6747

On 02/17/2013 06:21 AM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> On 02/16/2013 09:56 PM, Robert Snyder wrote:
> Hi Wee Robby,
> Pending this, on the 26th, next Tuesday, I am hosting a campaign event
> in Sarasota from 5 PM to 7 PM. A LOT of my campaign is about
> converting the city to Linux Desktops - their servers are already
> Linux. You can completely ignore the politics, which will be minimal
> anyway, and concentrate on presenting your Linux notebook.
> I am going to bring my own Linux notebook. I hope some of you will
> bring your Linux notebooks and join me. Last time I had 8 guests, more
> than I could demo at once. But a few people played with it, one said
> he had never seen Linux and he was able to use it immediately (Fedora
> 16).
> Pizza and soda is on me for all who come. Ringling Pizza, Ringling at
> Lime. (across from old Publix) Their Pizza is good and the wifi is
> fine. Anyone from Tampa or St. Pete wish to come chime in and I will
> post the directions.
> Unfortunately, I am booked on the 6th. Hate to miss it.
>> Topic is still pending as I am waiting some new parts to come in.   The
>> hope is for everyone to experience a little pi,  raspberry pi that is.
>> So If we heres the deal, since this is going to be the first real
>> meeting
>> in some time, I think I shall do something special.   I will setup a
>> calendar for the event which looks like it will be on March 6th .
>> If we
>> get more then the 5 people who RSVP. I will take care of the food and
>> drinks, in honor of this occasion.
>> Rob "WeeRobby"
>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
>>> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
>>> Star2Star Communications
>>> 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
>>> Joe Brandt
>>> 941-234-0001 x327
>>>
>>> Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
>>> First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
>>>
>>> Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> slug mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug
>> _______________________________________________
>> slug mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

Bishop, Mark
In reply to this post by dylan
When were these steps added?

-----Original Message-----
From: slug [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Dylan
William Hardison
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:23 PM
To: SLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Bradenton Sarasota Meeting

Alright, there are a number of formalities that need to be brought up.

*  Meetings must occur for 6 months before slug will endorse them
officially. This will also require majority consent of the officers.
* The term we will use to describe these unofficial meetings will be
"beta meetings", which sounds nicer than unofficial. :)
* The beta meeting coordinator should attend at least one existing
meeting, to get a feel for things.
* There are a number of other things, mostly under "ensure slug's
reputation is not harmed" which I will write up in an off-list mail --
assuming joe is the beta coordinator.

Also, you might get wider draw (e.g. get people from other counties) if
your meeting was on a different weekday then the other two meetings.

On Feb 16, 2013 4:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
> Star2Star Communications
> 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
> Joe Brandt
> 941-234-0001 x327
> Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
> First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
> Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
> _______________________________________________
> slug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

dylan
Administrator
Meetings must occur for 6 months prior to being official? Since at least
2002 -- when the St. Pete meeting was started.
The Pinellas meeting that replaced it also had to adhere to this rule. If
either the tampa or pinellas meetings were to fail to meet for an extended
period of time, they would also be subject to being "in beta" for 6 months
upon their resumption. The SRQ meetings have been in hiatus for a very long
period of time and thus must be treated as a new meeting as well.

Bullet point #2 is because I really *don't* want to make a new meeting
location hard. "Unofficial meeting" sounds weird to a new comer, where as
"beta" implies something new and possibly exciting (although unfinished and
rough).

Bullet #3 is from mutual agreement between the officers of SLUG, because a
meeting coordinator *is* an officer of SLUG (and it'd be nice to meet them
before then).

Bullet #4 is mostly related to making sure the meeting will be open to the
public, and also ensuring Joe has whatever resources that he needs to be
successful in this. :-)

Trivia: The current Pinellas Meeting was a totally unofficial meeting,
which began having regular meetings 7 months before Paul Foster stepped
down as President. As it had been having regular meetings for (more than)
the required time, it became a regular SLUG meeting.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Bishop, Mark <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> When were these steps added?
> -----Original Message-----
> From: slug [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Dylan
> William Hardison
> Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:23 PM
> To: SLUG Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [SLUG] Bradenton Sarasota Meeting
> Alright, there are a number of formalities that need to be brought up.
> *  Meetings must occur for 6 months before slug will endorse them
> officially. This will also require majority consent of the officers.
> * The term we will use to describe these unofficial meetings will be
> "beta meetings", which sounds nicer than unofficial. :)
> * The beta meeting coordinator should attend at least one existing
> meeting, to get a feel for things.
> * There are a number of other things, mostly under "ensure slug's
> reputation is not harmed" which I will write up in an off-list mail --
> assuming joe is the beta coordinator.
> Also, you might get wider draw (e.g. get people from other counties) if
> your meeting was on a different weekday then the other two meetings.
> On Feb 16, 2013 4:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
> >
> > First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
> > Star2Star Communications
> > 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
> >
> > Joe Brandt
> > 941-234-0001 x327
> >
> > Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
> >
> > First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
> >
> > Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
> > _______________________________________________
> slug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

Pete Theisen
In reply to this post by Bishop, Mark
On 02/19/2013 09:37 AM, Bishop, Mark wrote:
> When were these steps added?

Hi Mark,

The PUP (Pinellas Unix People) meetings were so much fun that I commuted
on a 125 cc motorbike from SRQ every month to be there for more than a
year, sometimes in the rain. Being "Beta" won't mean anything if the
meetings are good. Trust me, a failed politician would never lie . . .

:-)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: slug [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Dylan
> William Hardison
> Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:23 PM
> To: SLUG Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [SLUG] Bradenton Sarasota Meeting
> Alright, there are a number of formalities that need to be brought up.
> *  Meetings must occur for 6 months before slug will endorse them
> officially. This will also require majority consent of the officers.
> * The term we will use to describe these unofficial meetings will be
> "beta meetings", which sounds nicer than unofficial. :)
> * The beta meeting coordinator should attend at least one existing
> meeting, to get a feel for things.
> * There are a number of other things, mostly under "ensure slug's
> reputation is not harmed" which I will write up in an off-list mail --
> assuming joe is the beta coordinator.
> Also, you might get wider draw (e.g. get people from other counties) if
> your meeting was on a different weekday then the other two meetings.
> On Feb 16, 2013 4:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
>> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
>> Star2Star Communications
>> 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
>> Joe Brandt
>> 941-234-0001 x327
>> Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
>> First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
>> Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
>> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email]
> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

Regards,

Pete

Bishop, Mark
In reply to this post by Jim Wildman
Any chance to get some Redhat swag?

-----Original Message-----
From: slug [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jim
Wildman
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:42 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Bradenton Sarasota Meeting

Assuming I don't get scheduled for something else, I'll come and play.
I have (not too surprisingly) RHEL6 on my laptop.

And as an introduction.....

I was hired by Red Hat in October to be a Florida based Solutions

> On 02/16/2013 09:56 PM, Robert Snyder wrote:
> Hi Wee Robby,
> Pending this, on the 26th, next Tuesday, I am hosting a campaign event

> in Sarasota from 5 PM to 7 PM. A LOT of my campaign is about
> converting the city to Linux Desktops - their servers are already
> Linux. You can completely ignore the politics, which will be minimal
> anyway, and concentrate on presenting your Linux notebook.
> I am going to bring my own Linux notebook. I hope some of you will
> bring your Linux notebooks and join me. Last time I had 8 guests, more

> than I could demo at once. But a few people played with it, one said
> he had never seen Linux and he was able to use it immediately (Fedora
> 16).
> Pizza and soda is on me for all who come. Ringling Pizza, Ringling at
> Lime. (across from old Publix) Their Pizza is good and the wifi is
> fine. Anyone from Tampa or St. Pete wish to come chime in and I will
> post the directions.
> Unfortunately, I am booked on the 6th. Hate to miss it.
>> Topic is still pending as I am waiting some new parts to come in.
The
>> hope is for everyone to experience a little pi,  raspberry pi that
is.
>> So If we heres the deal, since this is going to be the first real
>> meeting
>> in some time, I think I shall do something special.   I will setup a
>> calendar for the event which looks like it will be on March 6th .
>> If we
>> get more then the 5 people who RSVP. I will take care of the food and

>> drinks, in honor of this occasion.
>> Rob "WeeRobby"
>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
>>> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
>>> Star2Star Communications
>>> 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
>>> Joe Brandt
>>> 941-234-0001 x327
>>>
>>> Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
>>> First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
>>>
>>> Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> slug mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug
>> _______________________________________________
>> slug mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

Jody Baudoin
There are a lot of people in Houston.
I find it surprising that Linux user groups are not viable there.

On the other hand, I know how it can be with Linux.

User Requirement:  Must run on PC.
Software guy ports Unix suite to Linux/PC.
User:   - no no no - that is not a PC.

I have seen this - and I must say it was easy to predict.

Jody

On 2/20/2013 10:13, Bishop, Mark wrote:
> Houston was a wasteland as far as LUG's were concerned (theory
> is that all the financial/energy folks were too locked up with non
> disclosures to get involved).

Jim Wildman
In reply to this post by vzd1s11k
At least some of it..yes

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: Bishop, Mark [[hidden email]]
Received: Wednesday, 20 Feb 2013, 10:14
To: SLUG Mailing List [[hidden email]]
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Bradenton Sarasota Meeting

Any chance to get some Redhat swag?

-----Original Message-----
From: slug [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jim
Wildman
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:42 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Bradenton Sarasota Meeting

Assuming I don't get scheduled for something else, I'll come and play.
I have (not too surprisingly) RHEL6 on my laptop.

And as an introduction.....

I was hired by Red Hat in October to be a Florida based Solutions

> On 02/16/2013 09:56 PM, Robert Snyder wrote:
> Hi Wee Robby,
> Pending this, on the 26th, next Tuesday, I am hosting a campaign event

> in Sarasota from 5 PM to 7 PM. A LOT of my campaign is about
> converting the city to Linux Desktops - their servers are already
> Linux. You can completely ignore the politics, which will be minimal
> anyway, and concentrate on presenting your Linux notebook.
> I am going to bring my own Linux notebook. I hope some of you will
> bring your Linux notebooks and join me. Last time I had 8 guests, more

> than I could demo at once. But a few people played with it, one said
> he had never seen Linux and he was able to use it immediately (Fedora
> 16).
> Pizza and soda is on me for all who come. Ringling Pizza, Ringling at
> Lime. (across from old Publix) Their Pizza is good and the wifi is
> fine. Anyone from Tampa or St. Pete wish to come chime in and I will
> post the directions.
> Unfortunately, I am booked on the 6th. Hate to miss it.
>> Topic is still pending as I am waiting some new parts to come in.
The
>> hope is for everyone to experience a little pi,  raspberry pi that
is.
>> So If we heres the deal, since this is going to be the first real
>> meeting
>> in some time, I think I shall do something special.   I will setup a
>> calendar for the event which looks like it will be on March 6th .
>> If we
>> get more then the 5 people who RSVP. I will take care of the food and

>> drinks, in honor of this occasion.
>> Rob "WeeRobby"
>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I think 5 people are enough to launch monthly meetings.
>>> First Wednesday monthly, 7PM
>>> Star2Star Communications
>>> 600 Tallevast Road Sarasota Florida 34243
>>> Joe Brandt
>>> 941-234-0001 x327
>>>
>>> Secure location late comers not appreciated, but welcome.
>>> First presenter Rob Snyder topic tba
>>>
>>> Bring a guest will discuss pass hat for pizza.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> slug mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug
>> _______________________________________________
>> slug mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.suncoastlug.org/mailman/listinfo/slug

Jim Wildman
In reply to this post by vzd1s11k
And Linux is heavy used by the energy industry...just no viable lugs in sight.

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jody Baudoin [[hidden email]]
Received: Wednesday, 20 Feb 2013, 11:54
To: SLUG Mailing List [[hidden email]]
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Bradenton Sarasota Meeting

There are a lot of people in Houston.
I find it surprising that Linux user groups are not viable there.

On the other hand, I know how it can be with Linux.

User Requirement:  Must run on PC.
Software guy ports Unix suite to Linux/PC.
User:   - no no no - that is not a PC.

I have seen this - and I must say it was easy to predict.

Jody

On 2/20/2013 10:13, Bishop, Mark wrote:
> Houston was a wasteland as far as LUG's were concerned (theory
> is that all the financial/energy folks were too locked up with non
> disclosures to get involved).

Paul M Foster
In reply to this post by Jody Baudoin
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:54:10AM -0500, Jody Baudoin wrote:

> There are a lot of people in Houston.
> I find it surprising that Linux user groups are not viable there.

Number of users is only one factor in viable user groups, and perhaps
even a minor one. They require "management" and a particular zeal and
persistence on the part of that management. Without it, there really is
no "group". Just a lot of users floundering about. This is particularly
true today, where distros have now resolved a lot of the technical
issues that were the impetus for users joining groups in the past. Users
groups are good for two things. First, technical support, which as I
say, has been mostly resolved by distros. Second, the ability to
socialize with similarly interested geeks. And with Facebook, Twitter
and the like, even face-to-face meetings are now hard to convince people
to come to. Lastly, a Linux user is not the same as a Linux geek. Users
just want it to work and don't care about anything else. Geeks are more
interested in how it works, tweaking it, and socializing with other
geeks.

Let's face it:  You are not mainstream if over the last two decades
you have not reached a point where you have applications that
self-extract and install with a click (aside from the Ubuntu Software
Center).
On 2/21/2013 10:14 AM, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:54:10AM -0500, Jody Baudoin wrote:
>> There are a lot of people in Houston.
>> I find it surprising that Linux user groups are not viable there.
> Number of users is only one factor in viable user groups, and perhaps
> even a minor one. They require "management" and a particular zeal and
> persistence on the part of that management. Without it, there really is
> no "group". Just a lot of users floundering about. This is particularly
> true today, where distros have now resolved a lot of the technical
> issues that were the impetus for users joining groups in the past. Users
> groups are good for two things. First, technical support, which as I
> say, has been mostly resolved by distros. Second, the ability to
> socialize with similarly interested geeks. And with Facebook, Twitter
> and the like, even face-to-face meetings are now hard to convince people
> to come to. Lastly, a Linux user is not the same as a Linux geek. Users
> just want it to work and don't care about anything else. Geeks are more
> interested in how it works, tweaking it, and socializing with other
> geeks.
> My $0.02.
> Paul

Bishop, Mark
Linux in the mainstream (greater that 20% desktop install base) is not
going to happen.  That ship sailed several years (decade?) ago. However,
Android on mobile is where the action is.

This along with what Paul has brought up has led to the decline of
users' groups.  If Geek's want to socialize, call it a Meetup, don't
call it a LUG.  Plus, it was always faster to do a Google search than it
was to wait for the next meeting, where we would do Google searches to
find solutions to hardware/software issues.  And frankly, with new
hardware there aren't a lot of issues.  What we saw were "Hey, I have
this old POS laptop that I want to get linux on and I can't get the
mouse/video driver to work.  Any ideas?"  That was usually met with a
little tinkering and a "Get a newer laptop - or use an older distro
version."  Rinse and repeat.

When you get a group together at a LUG they are generally of two camps.
Those that are just starting out and the real Engineers who are coding
and working with this stuff day in and day out.  You can't hold the
attention of both groups at the same time and you end up picking a
segment to appease and losing the other one.

As the original creator of the Sarasota group I'll probably show up to a
few of the new meetings since they are right around the corner from
where I work, just to see how things have progressed.

Paul, good to see you are still kicking around.

-----Original Message-----

Let's face it:  You are not mainstream if over the last two decades
you have not reached a point where you have applications that
self-extract and install with a click (aside from the Ubuntu Software
Center).
On 2/21/2013 10:14 AM, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:54:10AM -0500, Jody Baudoin wrote:
>> There are a lot of people in Houston.
>> I find it surprising that Linux user groups are not viable there.
> Number of users is only one factor in viable user groups, and perhaps
> even a minor one. They require "management" and a particular zeal and
> persistence on the part of that management. Without it, there really
> is no "group". Just a lot of users floundering about. This is
> particularly true today, where distros have now resolved a lot of the
> technical issues that were the impetus for users joining groups in the

> past. Users groups are good for two things. First, technical support,
> which as I say, has been mostly resolved by distros. Second, the
> ability to socialize with similarly interested geeks. And with
> Facebook, Twitter and the like, even face-to-face meetings are now
> hard to convince people to come to. Lastly, a Linux user is not the
> same as a Linux geek. Users just want it to work and don't care about
> anything else. Geeks are more interested in how it works, tweaking it,

> and socializing with other geeks.
> My $0.02.
> Paul

rsmoot
In reply to this post by Art Eaton

---- Art Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bringing to the point that user groups should focus on outreach (Helping
> new users get loaded and started; helping users get the most out of
> their day-to-day experience; helping choose distros that suit their
> needs etc...  Framing content around more esoteric untouchables is great
> for das Ubergeeks, but doesn't do much for the promotion of Linux to the
> mainstream.
>    Let's face it:  You are not mainstream if over the last two decades
> you have not reached a point where you have applications that
> self-extract and install with a click (aside from the Ubuntu Software
> Center).

Open SUSE 12.2 useing YAST is very easy to install software. It automaticaly
takes care of dependancies.
The main thing that initally takes a little knowledge is adding depositoris.
Bremen is one you want to add so you can get decss and Vlc for looking at
DVD's.
Apper which istalls from the basic package takes care of updates. I have never
had it not work after an update. It sometimes updates a couple of times in one day.
I have installed stuff not from Open SUSE without much problem.
SUSE is RPM and I have installed RPM's from Fedora.

Richard Smoot

dylan
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bishop, Mark
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Bishop, Mark
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Linux in the mainstream (greater that 20% desktop install base) is not
> going to happen.  That ship sailed several years (decade?) ago. However,
> Android on mobile is where the action is.
Linux may well end up with more than 50% desktop install base within the decade,
as desktops are probably something only geeks will have.

> This along with what Paul has brought up has led to the decline of
> users' groups.  If Geek's want to socialize, call it a Meetup, don't
> call it a LUG.

``What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes''

Why not be both? Our expansion director has been using meetup for great effect.

We're a LUG because that's what binds us together. The Tampa and
Pinellas meetings haven't declined in 11 years,
and with outreach into social media we've had continued growth during
all of 2012.

> Plus, it was always faster to do a Google search than it
> was to wait for the next meeting, where we would do Google searches to
> find solutions to hardware/software issues.

Between meetings we tend to talk on IRC
(ircs://irc.suncoastlug.org:9999, that's ssl).

Of course, better sources are always available -- the attraction of
the LUG is these are *local* (for the most part) people
with similar interests.

I grew up on the internet. Almost everything I know is so-called
"self-taught" -- but that's a misnomer. I was taught by countless
souls
in a dozen different countries, over IRC, Usenet, forums, mailing
lists and more.
A friend in Spain helped me get X working over a reverse SSH tunnel in
Debian 2ish. I never came to a SLUG meeting
looking for answers -- and what I found were like-minded people,

The world is not just now becoming global. It isn't a new phenomena to
have access to the best and brightest minds online.
But sometimes you want to stand in a room with real people and show
them your festivus pole

> And frankly, with new
> hardware there aren't a lot of issues.  What we saw were "Hey, I have
> this old POS laptop that I want to get linux on and I can't get the
> mouse/video driver to work.  Any ideas?"  That was usually met with a
> little tinkering and a "Get a newer laptop - or use an older distro
> version."  Rinse and repeat.

And sometimes Bill Lancaster brings in a microscope or an oscilloscope
and we make it work in Linux.

I assure you, if you bring old hardware to my meeting, someone will
try to make it work.

> When you get a group together at a LUG they are generally of two camps.
> Those that are just starting out and the real Engineers who are coding
> and working with this stuff day in and day out.
We have all sorts of camps at the meetings.

* Hobbyists (Makers, FLOSS-types)
* Professional developers, sysadmins, devops
* Real Engineers
* True Scotsmen
* Mathemagicians

> You can't hold the
> attention of both groups at the same time and you end up picking a
> segment to appease and losing the other one.

I'm very up-front about this at the Pinellas meeting.
I do not apologize for having difficult or niche topics.
I've found that If one is straight-forward with one's intentions,
the curious will stay and learn. Ask Pete Theisen if you don't believe me.

> As the original creator of the Sarasota group I'll probably show up to a
> few of the new meetings since they are right around the corner from
> where I work, just to see how things have progressed.

It seemed to me Sarasota folded because of, in no particular order:
1) Lack of a meeting location for a prolonged time
2) Lack of energy
3) Eric Jahn moving north.
4) Robert Snyder's linux distribution

The real reason, though, may be TheLogan's chatbot gaining sapience
and becoming the singularity.

/ Dylan Hardison
// President of SLUG

Jim Wildman
couple of notes.

When I tried to join #slug on the irc server (as user wildross), I got a "you've been banned message"

When I tried to do the Introduce yourself page I got a
Error: file error - members/list.tt: not found
message...

Jim Wildman, RHCE
Solutions Architect, Southeast Region
832-226-6747

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dylan William Hardison" <[hidden email]>
To: "SLUG Mailing List" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:52:42 PM

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Bishop, Mark
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Linux in the mainstream (greater that 20% desktop install base) is not
> going to happen.  That ship sailed several years (decade?) ago. However,
> Android on mobile is where the action is.
as desktops are probably something only geeks will have.

> This along with what Paul has brought up has led to the decline of
> users' groups.  If Geek's want to socialize, call it a Meetup, don't
> call it a LUG.

``What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes''

Why not be both? Our expansion director has been using meetup for great effect.

We're a LUG because that's what binds us together. The Tampa and
Pinellas meetings haven't declined in 11 years,
and with outreach into social media we've had continued growth during
all of 2012.

> Plus, it was always faster to do a Google search than it
> was to wait for the next meeting, where we would do Google searches to
> find solutions to hardware/software issues.

Between meetings we tend to talk on IRC
(ircs://irc.suncoastlug.org:9999, that's ssl).

Of course, better sources are always available -- the attraction of
the LUG is these are *local* (for the most part) people
with similar interests.

I grew up on the internet. Almost everything I know is so-called
"self-taught" -- but that's a misnomer. I was taught by countless
souls
in a dozen different countries, over IRC, Usenet, forums, mailing
lists and more.
A friend in Spain helped me get X working over a reverse SSH tunnel in
Debian 2ish. I never came to a SLUG meeting
looking for answers -- and what I found were like-minded people,

The world is not just now becoming global. It isn't a new phenomena to
have access to the best and brightest minds online.
But sometimes you want to stand in a room with real people and show
them your festivus pole

> And frankly, with new
> hardware there aren't a lot of issues.  What we saw were "Hey, I have
> this old POS laptop that I want to get linux on and I can't get the
> mouse/video driver to work.  Any ideas?"  That was usually met with a
> little tinkering and a "Get a newer laptop - or use an older distro
> version."  Rinse and repeat.

And sometimes Bill Lancaster brings in a microscope or an oscilloscope
and we make it work in Linux.

I assure you, if you bring old hardware to my meeting, someone will
try to make it work.

> When you get a group together at a LUG they are generally of two camps.
> Those that are just starting out and the real Engineers who are coding
> and working with this stuff day in and day out.
We have all sorts of camps at the meetings.

* Hobbyists (Makers, FLOSS-types)
* Professional developers, sysadmins, devops
* Real Engineers
* True Scotsmen
* Mathemagicians

> You can't hold the
> attention of both groups at the same time and you end up picking a
> segment to appease and losing the other one.

I'm very up-front about this at the Pinellas meeting.
I do not apologize for having difficult or niche topics.
I've found that If one is straight-forward with one's intentions,
the curious will stay and learn. Ask Pete Theisen if you don't believe me.

> As the original creator of the Sarasota group I'll probably show up to a
> few of the new meetings since they are right around the corner from
> where I work, just to see how things have progressed.

It seemed to me Sarasota folded because of, in no particular order:
1) Lack of a meeting location for a prolonged time
2) Lack of energy
3) Eric Jahn moving north.
4) Robert Snyder's linux distribution

The real reason, though, may be TheLogan's chatbot gaining sapience
and becoming the singularity.

/ Dylan Hardison
// President of SLUG

Bishop, Mark
They don't like redhat.

-----Original Message-----
From: slug [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jim
Wildman
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:06 PM
To: SLUG Mailing List

couple of notes.

When I tried to join #slug on the irc server (as user wildross), I got a
"you've been banned message"

When I tried to do the Introduce yourself page I got a
Error: file error - members/list.tt: not found message...

Jim Wildman, RHCE
Solutions Architect, Southeast Region
832-226-6747

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dylan William Hardison" <[hidden email]>
To: "SLUG Mailing List" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:52:42 PM

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Bishop, Mark
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Linux in the mainstream (greater that 20% desktop install base) is not
> going to happen.  That ship sailed several years (decade?) ago.
However,
> Android on mobile is where the action is.
Linux may well end up with more than 50% desktop install base within the
decade,
as desktops are probably something only geeks will have.

> This along with what Paul has brought up has led to the decline of
> users' groups.  If Geek's want to socialize, call it a Meetup, don't
> call it a LUG.

``What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes''

Why not be both? Our expansion director has been using meetup for great
effect.

We're a LUG because that's what binds us together. The Tampa and
Pinellas meetings haven't declined in 11 years,
and with outreach into social media we've had continued growth during
all of 2012.

> Plus, it was always faster to do a Google search than it
> was to wait for the next meeting, where we would do Google searches to
> find solutions to hardware/software issues.

Between meetings we tend to talk on IRC
(ircs://irc.suncoastlug.org:9999, that's ssl).

Of course, better sources are always available -- the attraction of
the LUG is these are *local* (for the most part) people
with similar interests.

I grew up on the internet. Almost everything I know is so-called
"self-taught" -- but that's a misnomer. I was taught by countless
souls
in a dozen different countries, over IRC, Usenet, forums, mailing
lists and more.
A friend in Spain helped me get X working over a reverse SSH tunnel in
Debian 2ish. I never came to a SLUG meeting
looking for answers -- and what I found were like-minded people,

The world is not just now becoming global. It isn't a new phenomena to
have access to the best and brightest minds online.
But sometimes you want to stand in a room with real people and show
them your festivus pole

> And frankly, with new
> hardware there aren't a lot of issues.  What we saw were "Hey, I have
> this old POS laptop that I want to get linux on and I can't get the
> mouse/video driver to work.  Any ideas?"  That was usually met with a
> little tinkering and a "Get a newer laptop - or use an older distro
> version."  Rinse and repeat.

And sometimes Bill Lancaster brings in a microscope or an oscilloscope
and we make it work in Linux.

I assure you, if you bring old hardware to my meeting, someone will
try to make it work.

> When you get a group together at a LUG they are generally of two
camps.
> Those that are just starting out and the real Engineers who are coding
> and working with this stuff day in and day out.
We have all sorts of camps at the meetings.

* Hobbyists (Makers, FLOSS-types)
* Professional developers, sysadmins, devops
* Real Engineers
* True Scotsmen
* Mathemagicians

> You can't hold the
> attention of both groups at the same time and you end up picking a
> segment to appease and losing the other one.

I'm very up-front about this at the Pinellas meeting.
I do not apologize for having difficult or niche topics.
I've found that If one is straight-forward with one's intentions,
the curious will stay and learn. Ask Pete Theisen if you don't believe
me.

> As the original creator of the Sarasota group I'll probably show up to
a
> few of the new meetings since they are right around the corner from
> where I work, just to see how things have progressed.

It seemed to me Sarasota folded because of, in no particular order:
1) Lack of a meeting location for a prolonged time
2) Lack of energy
3) Eric Jahn moving north.
4) Robert Snyder's linux distribution

The real reason, though, may be TheLogan's chatbot gaining sapience
and becoming the singularity.

/ Dylan Hardison

From: slug [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jim
Wildman
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:06 PM
To: SLUG Mailing List

couple of notes.

When I tried to join #slug on the irc server (as user wildross), I got a
"you've been banned message"

When I tried to do the Introduce yourself page I got a
Error: file error - members/list.tt: not found message...

Jim Wildman, RHCE
Solutions Architect, Southeast Region
832-226-6747

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dylan William Hardison" <[hidden email]>
To: "SLUG Mailing List" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:52:42 PM

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Bishop, Mark
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Linux in the mainstream (greater that 20% desktop install base) is not
> going to happen.  That ship sailed several years (decade?) ago.
However,
> Android on mobile is where the action is.
Linux may well end up with more than 50% desktop install base within the
decade,
as desktops are probably something only geeks will have.

> This along with what Paul has brought up has led to the decline of
> users' groups.  If Geek's want to socialize, call it a Meetup, don't
> call it a LUG.

``What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes''

Why not be both? Our expansion director has been using meetup for great
effect.

We're a LUG because that's what binds us together. The Tampa and
Pinellas meetings haven't declined in 11 years,
and with outreach into social media we've had continued growth during
all of 2012.

> Plus, it was always faster to do a Google search than it
> was to wait for the next meeting, where we would do Google searches to
> find solutions to hardware/software issues.

Between meetings we tend to talk on IRC
(ircs://irc.suncoastlug.org:9999, that's ssl).

Of course, better sources are always available -- the attraction of
the LUG is these are *local* (for the most part) people
with similar interests.

I grew up on the internet. Almost everything I know is so-called
"self-taught" -- but that's a misnomer. I was taught by countless
souls
in a dozen different countries, over IRC, Usenet, forums, mailing
lists and more.
A friend in Spain helped me get X working over a reverse SSH tunnel in
Debian 2ish. I never came to a SLUG meeting
looking for answers -- and what I found were like-minded people,

The world is not just now becoming global. It isn't a new phenomena to
have access to the best and brightest minds online.
But sometimes you want to stand in a room with real people and show
them your festivus pole

> And frankly, with new
> hardware there aren't a lot of issues.  What we saw were "Hey, I have
> this old POS laptop that I want to get linux on and I can't get the
> mouse/video driver to work.  Any ideas?"  That was usually met with a
> little tinkering and a "Get a newer laptop - or use an older distro
> version."  Rinse and repeat.

And sometimes Bill Lancaster brings in a microscope or an oscilloscope
and we make it work in Linux.

I assure you, if you bring old hardware to my meeting, someone will
try to make it work.

> When you get a group together at a LUG they are generally of two
camps.
> Those that are just starting out and the real Engineers who are coding
> and working with this stuff day in and day out.
We have all sorts of camps at the meetings.

* Hobbyists (Makers, FLOSS-types)
* Professional developers, sysadmins, devops
* Real Engineers
* True Scotsmen
* Mathemagicians

> You can't hold the
> attention of both groups at the same time and you end up picking a
> segment to appease and losing the other one.

I'm very up-front about this at the Pinellas meeting.
I do not apologize for having difficult or niche topics.
I've found that If one is straight-forward with one's intentions,
the curious will stay and learn. Ask Pete Theisen if you don't believe
me.

> As the original creator of the Sarasota group I'll probably show up to
a
> few of the new meetings since they are right around the corner from
> where I work, just to see how things have progressed.

It seemed to me Sarasota folded because of, in no particular order:
1) Lack of a meeting location for a prolonged time
2) Lack of energy
3) Eric Jahn moving north.
4) Robert Snyder's linux distribution

The real reason, though, may be TheLogan's chatbot gaining sapience
and becoming the singularity.

/ Dylan Hardison