Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Jeff
I have a huge amount of pictures that I have taken over the years, and I am
using Imagination to convert the images into DVD slide-shows. I have them
somewhat organized by directory, but with so many images that system is
getting impossible to manage.

What I want is a database that will let me tag the images then search by the
tags. For example, let's say that there is a series of images of a pineapple
plant from start through blooming and producing fruit stages. I need to be
able to search for all pineapple images, then fine tune that search by stage
of development. Is there an intuitive image database program that will do such
a thing?

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Pete Theisen
Would Libre Office Impress do it? Price is right . . .

On 12/02/2015 01:03 PM, Jeff wrote:

> I have a huge amount of pictures that I have taken over the years, and I am
> using Imagination to convert the images into DVD slide-shows. I have them
> somewhat organized by directory, but with so many images that system is
> getting impossible to manage.
>
> What I want is a database that will let me tag the images then search by the
> tags. For example, let's say that there is a series of images of a pineapple
> plant from start through blooming and producing fruit stages. I need to be
> able to search for all pineapple images, then fine tune that search by stage
> of development. Is there an intuitive image database program that will do such
> a thing?

Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Art Eaton
https://www.digikam.org/download

On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 01:39:49 PM Art Eaton wrote:
> https://www.digikam.org/download

That looked promising but I can't find an option to tag images already on the
hard disk. I could copy them back to the camera and tag them that way, but we
are talking about several gigabytes of pictures spanning over a decade.

Kphotoalbum might do the job if I can figure out how to configure the fields
that I want.  Database design is obviously not one of my strong points.

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Samuel Elliot
Try Google Picasa
https://picasa.google.com

On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 02:30:48 PM Samuel Elliot wrote:
> Try Google Picasa
> https://picasa.google.com

Story of my life...  I get a window saying that Picasa is not available for my
operating system. What is it, Mac and Windows only?

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Samuel Elliot
Oh, Google stopped supporting Picasa for Linux, but you can download it
from here: http://picasa.en.uptodown.com/ubuntu/download
On Dec 2, 2015 2:38 PM, "Jeff" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 02:30:48 PM Samuel Elliot wrote:
> > Try Google Picasa
> > https://picasa.google.com
>
> Story of my life...  I get a window saying that Picasa is not available
> for my
> operating system. What is it, Mac and Windows only?

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Eben King
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Jeff wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 02:30:48 PM Samuel Elliot wrote:
>> Try Google Picasa
>> https://picasa.google.com

I thought it was a web app. Guess not.

--
-eben    [hidden email]    ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 02:41:43 PM Samuel Elliot wrote:
> Oh, Google stopped supporting Picasa for Linux, but you can download it
> from here: http://picasa.en.uptodown.com/ubuntu/download

Many thanks. It's almost time for work now, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Jeff
On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 02:41:43 PM Samuel Elliot wrote:
> Oh, Google stopped supporting Picasa for Linux, but you can download it
> from here: http://picasa.en.uptodown.com/ubuntu/download

Wow, that was like a flashback to MS office years ago with their "index all
files for easy searching". It indexed *every* image on the entire drive
including album artwork from mp3 files and artwork from video games. Then it
indexed the thumbnails of all of those images too. Is there a way to tell it
that the images are all in one directory tree (~/pictures) and only to look
there for them? It is going to take eternity to go down the list and "remove
from picasa" all of the extraneous directories that shouldn't have been
indexed.

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

David Nicol
you could use *nix access control lists, but that would require losing all
the world-readable bits you currently have on image files, which might
imply some pretty deep housekeeping (or not.)

Create a picasa user who isn't in any groups but their own, then put all
the images you want picasa to see in the picasa group (or make them
world-readable.)

run picasa as the picasa user.

But I'm guessing there's a way to limit where it looks. Please share what
you found?

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 02:41:43 PM Samuel Elliot wrote:
> > Oh, Google stopped supporting Picasa for Linux, but you can download it
> > from here: http://picasa.en.uptodown.com/ubuntu/download
>
> Wow, that was like a flashback to MS office years ago with their "index all
> files for easy searching". It indexed *every* image on the entire drive
> including album artwork from mp3 files and artwork from video games. Then
> it
> indexed the thumbnails of all of those images too. Is there a way to tell
> it
> that the images are all in one directory tree (~/pictures) and only to look
> there for them? It is going to take eternity to go down the list and
> "remove
> from picasa" all of the extraneous directories that shouldn't have been
> indexed.

Full employment through litigation! Neighborhood courts! Let's all get
along by formally talking this whole thing out!

On Thursday, December 03, 2015 12:04:29 PM David Nicol wrote:
> you could use *nix access control lists, but that would require losing all
> the world-readable bits you currently have on image files, which might
> imply some pretty deep housekeeping (or not.
>
> Create a picasa user who isn't in any groups but their own, then put all
> the images you want picasa to see in the picasa group (or make them
> world-readable.)

There are around 20,000 images that I want to be indexed, so that might take a
while.

> But I'm guessing there's a way to limit where it looks. Please share what
> you found?

Right now it seems that I might have to read up on database design and create
my own that does only what I need it to do. I once read a magazine article
about setting up a mp3 player that used mysql to categorize the files by name,
artist, and genre. What they were doing with the mp3's is exactly what I need
for my image files.

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Jeff
Finally found something that works. Digikam is now letting me tag images on
the drive like I wanted. It is a slow process with so many images, but at
least I have a working solution. Thanks for the ideas. :)

Re: Anyone know of a good photo database program?

Art Eaton
I was wondering why digikam was not working out for you.  Frankly, it
seems like the end-all solution (cross-platform, Open Source, active
project, very comprehensive).  I was surprised it wasn't up to your needs.

On Monday, December 07, 2015 06:27:41 PM Art Eaton wrote:
> I was wondering why digikam was not working out for you.  Frankly, it
> seems like the end-all solution (cross-platform, Open Source, active
> project, very comprehensive).  I was surprised it wasn't up to your needs.

Beats me. There wasn't even an option to tag files on the drive at first.
After trying again a couple of days later, then the option to tag the files
showed up on the menu. Guess it was just a system glitch.